Illinois Urbana-Champaign Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
booboosoft

New

Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Post by booboosoft » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:08 am

About 95% sure I'll be heading to the bustling metropolis amongst the corn and soybean fields in August.

Anyone else headed there? What made you decide? How early are you heading down, since classes apparently start Aug 13th?

Any current students that can chime in on lifestyle, profs, competition among students, etc.?

booboosoft

New

Re: Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Post by booboosoft » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:44 am

ummm... so nobody?

jujubee

New

Post by jujubee » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:57 am

I'm at about 80% sure I'll be there in the fall. The money is a big lure. I also enjoyed my visit to the school. Very friendly students and obviously dedicated staff. Not too excited by Champaign-Urbana but, as everyone noted, there will be few distractions to my studies.

ludwig

New

Post by ludwig » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:11 pm

I went to undergrad at UIUC and you'll never have a hard time finding a party, I'll tell you that :P

smicker

New

Post by smicker » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:26 am

I will be going to UIUC next fall as well. I think I am going to go down there at the begining of April to give myself some time to move in and get used to the place. Not sure where I will live yet. I'm not too interested in having roommates so hopefully I will be able to find a nice 1 bedroom somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smicker

New

Post by smicker » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:27 am

oops i meant the beggining of August

booboosoft

New

Post by booboosoft » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:16 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'd be there August 4th, especially since orientation starts on Aug 13th. I am going to need to come down to check out apts in a month or so, though.

IGUANAS!

New

Post by IGUANAS! » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:49 pm

I'm going to UIUC, I put down the first seat deposit a few weeks ago. Later this month I'm going to look for apartments and take a tour of the law school. I don't have any information though, maybe in a few weeks.

I decided on UIUC because it's smaller than the other schools I was looking at. I'll probably be moving in right around the beginning of orientation.

EddiesGirl29

New

Post by EddiesGirl29 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Last edited by EddiesGirl29 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mentat

New

Post by mentat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 am

Last edited by mentat on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solrac84

New

Post by solrac84 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:36 am

I will be attending this fall. My wife and I will be driving from San Diego on the 10th of August to make it to orientation by the 13th. It will be a fun non-stop drive. More importantly, it will be a fun three years of no surf. :(

booboosoft

New

Post by booboosoft » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:56 am

SanDogg? Sorry, I have a couple of idiot friends that live there and that's what they call it. Were you at the March 28 ASD? I gotta have a week or so to get settled or I'm going to feel like I'm going crazy (crazier than I normally would). I hope you haven't been in San Diego your whole life or you ARE NOT going to be pleased with the midwest weather...

frogman

New

Post by frogman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 am

I'm probably headed there also. I've never lived- nor have I ever wanted to live- in the Midwest but I did spend some time in Chicago and loved it. I know Urbana-Champaign is a bit outside but I figure, like jujubee, that there won't be much around to distract my studies. This is really the highest ranked school that I applied to and got accepted. It seems to be a very well-respected school in the midwest where firms from other regions recruit as well. One thing I'm wondering though, what do you do in the winter? I mean, can one still go running and stuff?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

booboosoft

New

Post by booboosoft » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:16 am

I'm sure their brand new gym will have an indoor track, but don't expect to do any cross-country-type running between December and March, especially in the morning. Unless you are much hardier than I, though this is not difficult. I am the king of the elliptical (GD shin splints!).

I am waiting until I get paid at midnight tonight to throw down the deposit. Wifey not happy about donking off $500- she went to World Market and bought more organizing baskets yesterday to punish me.

frogman

New

Post by frogman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Anyone other TLSers heading there this fall? Have you started researching housing yet?

Yue

New

Post by Yue » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:24 pm

I'll be going there! I was having trouble deciding between Minnesota and Illinois for a while, but I love Dean Pless - he's awesome at responding to my emails. The staff there just seemed to care a lot more than other schools I visited too.

I've been looking @ apartments and I'm looking for a roommate because all the one bedrooms left are so freaking expensive :\

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:06 pm

tag!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:45 pm

Housing Tips:
The university has a tenant union, which has lots of info and claims to help with the search process:
http://www.tenantunion.uiuc.edu/

University also has a big housing complex for grad students called Orchard Downs, which has a large area devoted to gardens (if you or your SO happens to like that). For non-university places, Royse & Brinkmeyer own a lot of property and are fairly decent landlords. Campus Property Management is not decent ((given various reports) though they do own lots of properties. I rented with Barr Real Estate and it was a good experience. (I think the Tenant Union maintains reviews of various landlords.)

One unfortunate thing about the area is that most leases run 8/15 to 8/15, so getting in early for orientation could be difficult. Places are being snapped up left and right, so time is of the essence for nabbing a decent place for the next year.

I wouldn't worry too much about living near the law school. The mass transit (bus system) here covers almost everywhere and is fairly reliable, and should be "free" with your student ID.

As for the winters:
If you aren't from the midwest, it can be a bit shocking. Some winters were fairly mild, but this past one was terrible. People still jog in the winter, but I assume they are very dedicated. The snow can pile up, and not everyone shovels their sidewalk, so jogging could be "challenging."

gengar

New

Post by gengar » Wed May 07, 2008 2:43 am

Anyone else? Although I am still pending or WL'd at nearly half the schools I applied to, it looks like I'll be making that hefty first deposit there this Friday (it's the only school I've been accepted to that I have not withdrawn from). I certainly wouldn't mind going though - based on my web research and materials I've received, I do find the university rather appealing.
Yue wrote:I'll be going there! I was having trouble deciding between Minnesota and Illinois for a while, but I love Dean Pless - he's awesome at responding to my emails. The staff there just seemed to care a lot more than other schools I visited too.
I also got accepted to both, and the decision between Minn and Illinois was the last one I made (both required first deposits this week, and I'm not going to play games doing multiple deposits). While the UIUC $$$ certainly played a factor, I also agree that the people I've contacted at UIUC seem nicer and more honest, although this was based on relatively limited interactions.

JAMNjo

New

Post by JAMNjo » Wed May 14, 2008 1:36 pm

I will also be attending this fall.

THanks to the poster who posted the housing link. My SO and I are finding it difficult to find a place that does short term leasing and can be leased beginning of July.

I also have an issue-- I will be leaving the country May 22nd and coming back August 13th.
I received my acceptance last thursday and still no letter in the mail. I'm a bit nervous to be gone all summer leaving all the logistics to my mom and gf, but such is life i guess.

I hope I wont miss too much on the 13th....

Looking forward to the fall!

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Wed May 14, 2008 2:14 pm

JAMNjo wrote:I will also be attending this fall.
Congrats! =)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JAMNjo

New

Post by JAMNjo » Wed May 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks!

ALso, in regards to the postings that said August 13th is the orientation date.

I believe when I looked at the website a few months back, this is what it said as well. However, i just checked it again a few days ago and now it says 20th-23th I believe, or something like that. I think the 13th may have been from last year.
Orrr, i could be completely pulling this information out of my ass. I have yet to receive any info, so if you guys know exactly when orientation will be-- that would be great if you could share it.

gengar

New

Post by gengar » Wed May 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Orientation is August 20-22, according to the admitted students binder (which is all available online, and to the public, at that).
--LinkRemoved--

I'll be visiting next week... and checking out housing options. Has anyone decided where they are going to (or want to) live yet? I'd love to check out any cool places around campus to eat, too.

dude

New

Post by dude » Mon May 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Good chance I'll be here...

dude

New

Post by dude » Tue May 20, 2008 1:43 am

Prob see you all there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.