Resume gap and OCI Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous User

Resume gap and OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:29 pm

I have about a 2-year resume gap since graduation. What I'm wondering is, if I were to start law school this fall, would this hurt me at OCI? Should I delay law school until fall 2020 and desperately pursue a full-time job to keep until then? Would any full-time job help? The gap is technically about 1.5 years, as there's some volunteering in there, but I'm worried some about this hurting me - particularly if I were to matriculate at a T2, where employers might, I'd imagine, be less forgiving than they'd be of T14 students. I have some explanations for the gap but would rather not disclose them here. I'm considering retaking anyway, so it would give me time for that, too, although I'd have to balance retaking with working full-time. I'm very anxious for any feedback on this.

QContinuum

Re: Resume gap and OCI

Post by QContinuum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The gap is technically about 1.5 years, as there's some volunteering in there, but I'm worried some about this hurting me - particularly if I were to matriculate at a T2, where employers might, I'd imagine, be less forgiving than they'd be of T14 students.
The main issue holding you back would not be the resume gap, but your attendance at a T2. If your goals (BigLaw, BigFed, etc.) reasonably require a T13/T20 education, don't matriculate at a T2.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have about a 2-year resume gap since graduation. What I'm wondering is, if I were to start law school this fall, would this hurt me at OCI? Should I delay law school until fall 2020 and desperately pursue a full-time job to keep until then? Would any full-time job help? The gap is technically about 1.5 years, as there's some volunteering in there, but I'm worried some about this hurting me - particularly if I were to matriculate at a T2, where employers might, I'd imagine, be less forgiving than they'd be of T14 students. I have some explanations for the gap but would rather not disclose them here. I'm considering retaking anyway, so it would give me time for that, too, although I'd have to balance retaking with working full-time. I'm very anxious for any feedback on this.
I'm confused--have you already gotten into a T2 school? It sounds like you're retaking the LSAT, which indicates to me you haven't actually applied yet? While it's good to think about your resume gap, it also seems a little premature if you haven't gotten into any schools yet.

I'm not sure what your gap is due to, but if you have an explanation other than just "I just wanted to relax and just sat at home watching TV," (and even then you could probably spin it in a more positive light) I wouldn't consider it to be a make-or-break issue. Sure, it may be a source of questions come recruiting time, but you'll have time to think about how you want to discuss that gap by then. I'm of the mind that employers may be more forgiving of a T2 student with a gap rather than a student at a less prestigious school (so many firms go gaga for the T2 schools).

Hard to give you a good answer without knowing much of the source of your anxiety (e.g. was the gap for mental health reasons (understandable and totally explainable) vs. serious criminal issue (probably navigable, but trickier)), but for now, I would say don't be concerned about that at this stage.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:49 pm

JHP wrote:I'm of the mind that employers may be more forgiving of a T2 student with a gap rather than a student at a less prestigious school (so many firms go gaga for the T2 schools).
Maybe I'm not getting the joke. Employers certainly don't "go gaga for the T2 schools." OP compares their situation to that of T14 students with a similar gap, which leads me to assume (perhaps wrongly) that s/he wants to shoot for jobs that normally go to T14 students. If that's the case, they shouldn't matriculate at a T2 school.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 pm

when you say "gap" do you mean a fairly meaningless occupation, or do you really mean a gap?
If it's something rather meaningless, that's ok. If it's a few months between positions, that's ok. You don't need to account for every waking moment on a resume (except for C&F; in that case, no gap, ever)

But if it's a real gap, like the following?

2010-2012 Undergrad
2012-2014 Job A
2016-2018 Job B
2019-2022 law school

Yeah, that may require explaining. If you don't treat it as a major issue, it won't be a major issue, but have a reasonable explanation in case you're asked

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jackdanielsga

New

Post by jackdanielsga » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:47 pm

FND wrote:You don't need to account for every waking moment on a resume (except for C&F; in that case, no gap, ever)
What do you mean no gap, ever? I think here in Georgia the c&f application only requires last 5 years of employment history.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:52 pm

jackdanielsga wrote:
FND wrote:You don't need to account for every waking moment on a resume (except for C&F; in that case, no gap, ever)
What do you mean no gap, ever? I think here in Georgia the c&f application only requires last 5 years of employment history.
Just to clarify, go back as far as they ask, and no further. But during that time period, there can be no gaps.

Note: some states are 5 years, some 10, some states since 18. But during that period, no time should be unaccounted for, even if it means "took two months off to smell the roses"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”