Auditing non-law classes Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LivHandsome

Auditing non-law classes

Post by LivHandsome » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Relatively low-stakes question here. How common (or feasible, given the time commitment of regular classes) is it for law students to take or audit classes in other schools at the university at which they attend law school? If I wanted to take an intro Spanish or drawing course, just for fun, could I? Or will I be expected to stay in my lane--or be too swamped to even consider adding something else to my plate?

Just wondering. Next semester will be my last in undergrad, and I'm realizing that I was so focused on my studies that I didn't explore as much as I wish I had. It would be nice if I could do just a little bit of that in law school before I totally exit academia, even though I know mostly missed the boat.

Thanks!

QContinuum

Re: Auditing non-law classes

Post by QContinuum » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

I would focus solely on law school in 1L, but in 2L/3L, it is absolutely possible to audit non-law classes (assuming your university allows this). If you wish, you may even be able to take a few non-law classes for credit toward your J.D. (typically, non-law classes for J.D. degree credit are limited to graduate classes and undergraduate language classes, IIRC).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”