Looking for Advice from Health Law/Patent Law People for Gap Years Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
holinesj

New

Looking for Advice from Health Law/Patent Law People for Gap Years

Post by holinesj » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:04 pm

I am looking for a bit of advice from someone who has gone into law with an undergraduate science background and took time off between undergraduate and law school. I will be graduating next year from a top 10 undergraduate school with degree in Biology and Philosophy. My GPA is a 3.85 and I realistically expect it to be a 3.85-3.9 upon graduation. I am currently studying for the LSAT and plan to take it this July. I have work experience with both biomedical laboratory research and health policy organizations.

I am interested in pursuing a career in health law or patent law, but I want to take a year or two off before applying and attending law school. But honestly, I am a bit lost in terms of what to do during that gap year. I feel irresponsible because I always planned on going to law school, and that caused me to neglect consideration of job prospects in gap years before law school. I am not realizing that gap years are hugely advantageous, but I didn't plan very well for what to do in my gap year. It seems like most bio research/industry jobs required an advanced degree, and most health jobs require a social sciences background or health administration background. I considered life sciences consulting, but they completed their intern hiring process last fall and I'm not sure about my prospects for being hired with no consulting/business experience next year. I am quite worried about all of this because a) I don't want my gap years to be useless and b) I actually want to make some money to help offset the debt of law school.

So, can anyone with experience in these areas of law offer any advice for useful work experience? What type of work experiences would help me land a 1L internship at a firm and be advantageous for my job search in law school? What do you think I can do with my undergraduate background that will give me good experience for law? I am coming to the realization that I am not going to know what to do in a year and a half once I graduate, and I am looking for any and all guidance. Thank you!

supermario26

New

Re: Looking for Advice from Health Law/Patent Law People for Gap Years

Post by supermario26 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:00 pm

It might be best to consider getting a masters degree in the time in between. Cracking into biotech IP is a bit difficult with just a bachelor degree. It'll be easier, of course, coming from a better-ranked school. It'll also depend on whether you're interested in prosecution or litigation. Nothing to feel "irresponsible" about though... the overwhelming majority of biotech associates (that I've interacted with) in IP didn't go K-JD. Many took time off in between to get an additional degree, work experience, research experience, etc.

As for healthcare, that's better answered by someone else. Best of luck!

LawstudentCU

New

Post by LawstudentCU » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:19 am

I highly recommend not taking a gap year. Go straight through law school, get your license, and move on. If you are interested in health law, though, unless you're able to get substantive, practical health care experience (e.g., nurse, EMT, etc.), you will likely not be positioned to jump directly into the health law space. Seldom are there health law jobs for entry level attorneys without practical health care experience. Law firms, hospitals, and health care companies alike generally expect candidates to have a minimum of 1-3 years of big law firm experience. That is typically the floor if you will. There is the occasional exception for someone who previously worked as a nurse and/or in some other medical provider capacity. That is looked very highly upon by health law employers because they know that those attorneys will be more likely to be trusted and respected by the employees/entities they advise.

Health law has always been my passion. I had to take a clerkship in order to get a health law job at U.S. HHS/OMHA in what will be my second year out of law school. I am very grateful for that! Please let me know if I can be of any further help to you.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:42 am

LawstudentCU wrote:I highly recommend not taking a gap year. Go straight through law school, get your license, and move on. If you are interested in health law, though, unless you're able to get substantive, practical health care experience (e.g., nurse, EMT, etc.), you will likely not be positioned to jump directly into the health law space. Seldom are there health law jobs for entry level attorneys without practical health care experience. Law firms, hospitals, and health care companies alike generally expect candidates to have a minimum of 1-3 years of big law firm experience. That is typically the floor if you will. There is the occasional exception for someone who previously worked as a nurse and/or in some other medical provider capacity. That is looked very highly upon by health law employers because they know that those attorneys will be more likely to be trusted and respected by the employees/entities they advise.

Health law has always been my passion. I had to take a clerkship in order to get a health law job at U.S. HHS/OMHA in what will be my second year out of law school. I am very grateful for that! Please let me know if I can be of any further help to you.
I work for a large health system and we employ new graduates without specific health law experience, however I have no doubt that we're an exception. Big law is going to be the usual entry point, as their model is well geared towards training folk with no prior experience.

I'm not sure why LawstudentCU suggests you go straight through though. Employers very much value work experience, and it wouldn't be difficult for you to find relevant experience that could set you up to enter a firm's health law practice group. Search for healthcare opportunities that you might be qualified for - e.g. grants processing, compliance, other healthcare admin roles. Any experience that identifies you as a healthcare worker will be a boost later as you try to establish yourself as a healthcare attorney.

Also, focus on your GPA for now, even if it means postponing the LSAT. Do everything you can to hit that 3.9. You can take the LSAT countless times, whereas your GPA is set in stone the moment you graduate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”