Is it worth it for me to become a lawyer? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thwn123

New

Is it worth it for me to become a lawyer?

Post by thwn123 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:22 pm

I’m currently considering going to law school - to work part-time as a solo practitioner later (after working full-time for 3-5 years after articling/bar exam).
I have a master’s degree in business. I will be making around 60-80K per year now if I get a job related to my current academic background.

Is it worth it for me to become a lawyer? Do experienced solo practitioners make around $50-100/hr (not expecting a stable/high overall income)?

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Is it worth it for me to become a lawyer?

Post by dabigchina » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:02 pm

what is your career trajectory? note that law school takes 3 years of your life and you could be making at least 180k during that time. add to that any tuition (which could be substantial) and you are in the hole 3-500k. you would need to stay in biglaw for 3-5 years to make up that difference (if you even get biglaw).

Ask yourself if you would pay 500k for the privilege of being a lawyer. if the answer is no, you should not go to law school

thwn123

New

Post by thwn123 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:44 pm

I want a career that can be long-term while I may take a break from working full-time for about 10 years to raise my children in the next 5-10 years. I also think, based on my career experience so far, it's important to consider whether the work is dynamic (aka gives me a sense of achievement). And I thought business-related jobs won't allow me to go back after a break or work part-time during that break (of course there may be options, yet I assumed that lawyers would have a higher chance?) But, based on my research, it doesn't sound like it.. and I would like real people's opinion! :D

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Law isn’t going to be any more forgiving of a 10-year break than any other profession. (I wish our world weren’t like this, but I believe it is.) it might be a little easier if you’re a solo, but I think dialing back a lot but maintaining some caseload would work better in the long run than a complete break.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:35 am

Honestly, I think law is less forgiving of extended breaks. You aren't going to be able to service your debt with income from a part time case load.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:18 am

This seems Canada-specific since you mentioned "articling". I don't know anything about the Canada legal market. I think the initial reddit LSAT mod is Canadian. They get more eyes over there for Canada questions. Might be worth a shot asking there.

jackdanielsga

New

Post by jackdanielsga » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:34 am

thwn123 wrote:I want a career that can be long-term while I may take a break from working full-time for about 10 years to raise my children in the next 5-10 years. I also think, based on my career experience so far, it's important to consider whether the work is dynamic (aka gives me a sense of achievement). And I thought business-related jobs won't allow me to go back after a break or work part-time during that break (of course there may be options, yet I assumed that lawyers would have a higher chance?) But, based on my research, it doesn't sound like it.. and I would like real people's opinion! :D
This may sound silly, but I'm curious why don't you start the law school *after* you are done with your break from working full-time to raise children? Or find a school that has an evening/ part-time program that can be attended during the last 4 of those 10 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”