Paralegal/Patent Docketing Clerk? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous User

Paralegal/Patent Docketing Clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi all,

I was interested in getting some legal work experience prior to attending law school or even business school, and I am in the process of interviewing for a FT position at a IP Boutique firm as a Paralegal Patent Docket Clerk. Was searching the forums and could not find a lot of info regarding this position. I am not so sure what to expect but does anyone have any experiences in Patent Docketing? I understand that IP law is somewhat different than traditional lawyering, so what exactly does a Patent Docket Clerk do and does anyone have any examples of the kind of work one does?

Also, any idea whether this experience will help or hinder my; application for law school, law school course work, or post law school career (even though I have no intention on doing IP law?). If I choose the business school route, could this position be spun to business schools from a transactional point of view? Lastly, whats the future growth of Patent Docketing Clerks and what are the expected salary ranges at senior levels?

Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”