Federal Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dropout

New

Federal Law

Post by dropout » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:26 pm

I may have to attend Taft Law. If this is the case i would much rather stay in my home state and work for the federal government. What federal law jobs are there? What keywords/job sites should I use? What agencies should I search for? Are there any federal agencies that handle disability cases?

dropout

New

Re: Federal Law

Post by dropout » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Are these jobs for students from the best law schools? Will I have any chance coming out of a no name school? I would love to work for the SSA because my spouse and I are both disabled. Lastly, if federal jobs are unrealistic for me, what are some jd preferred jobs? Paralegal? Contract negotiation?

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 am

dropout wrote:I may have to attend Taft Law. If this is the case i would much rather stay in my home state and work for the federal government. What federal law jobs are there? What keywords/job sites should I use? What agencies should I search for? Are there any federal agencies that handle disability cases?
Nobody has to attend Taft law. You are better off not going to law school. On some administrations, not a single graduate has passed the bar exam. Imagine spending all that time and effort to go to law school and having it all be for nothing because you failed the bar. Don't be mislead by Taft's website that cites "baby bar" pass rates- that's just the test that allows you to take the bar in the first place- which you don't need to take at all if you go to an accredited law school.

The chance of getting a job in the federal government with a law degree from an unaccredited school is quite low. Paralegal jobs don't require a law degree, and having one can actually be a disadvantage because employers will think you are a flight risk if you get an attorney job.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 pm

There are many federal agencies where you'd be able to work with the disabled. You can go through the list of agencies at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ted_States yourself and figure out which ones are of interest. A position at the VA, for instance, might appeal to you, and VA positions tend to be less competitive.

But nealric is right that you should not attend any unaccredited school. Not even all accredited schools are worth attending. I'm not a "T13 or bust" (or "T20 or bust") person but I struggle to think of anyone in any situation who I would be willing to advise to attend a T3 or T4 law school.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:39 pm

nealric wrote:
Nobody has to attend Taft law. You are better off not going to law school. On some administrations, not a single graduate has passed the bar exam. Imagine spending all that time and effort to go to law school and having it all be for nothing because you failed the bar. Don't be mislead by Taft's website that cites "baby bar" pass rates- that's just the test that allows you to take the bar in the first place- which you don't need to take at all if you go to an accredited law school.

The chance of getting a job in the federal government with a law degree from an unaccredited school is quite low. Paralegal jobs don't require a law degree, and having one can actually be a disadvantage because employers will think you are a flight risk if you get an attorney job.
Thank you for your response. I have decided not to attend. I am still waiting to hear back from aba approved schools

Red_Bird

New

Post by Red_Bird » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:54 pm

I am so glad you're applying to other schools. I looked at your profile and your numbers aren't horrendous. The only challenge would be that you dropped out so many times. As a person who kept doing that for the same reason through undergrad, I know the best thing to do is just explain what happened, how it influenced the decisions to drop out, what has changed and how you will CONTINUE the positive change.
I wish you good health and happiness

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”