What do you think about a late start on the prosecution side? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jackdanielsga

New

What do you think about a late start on the prosecution side?

Post by jackdanielsga » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:50 pm

As I continue to explore the possible ways to make law into a career, and after reading through the criminal law thread, I find myself suddenly interested in the prosecution side.

Would age be a problem (mid 40s in my case), and what would be the typical career progression?

crownjd

New

Re: What do you think about a late start on the prosecution side?

Post by crownjd » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Internship ---> job. The same way it goes for most other public interest jobs. During school, you'd want to target different offices that you'd be interested in or go to careers fairs like the ones in NY or DC (EJW or NY PILC Fair come to mind). I don't think age matters. I've worked with interns of all ages from 21 - 50.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:24 pm

You’d be right in thinking most prosecutors/prosecutorial interns are on the young side. That said, there’s no reason to think that being older would be held against you from the perspective of getting hired.

However, as I grew into my third year at a major municipal court, being a little on the older side at that point—the running around, the 300 case caseload, the standing in court for hours on end—I imagined physically personally doing it 5 years later (wouldn’t hAve actually happened cause I would have gotten to a higher level position, had I stayed on the office, that wouldn’t have had the same exhausting rhythm)...but anyway I found myself frequently thinking about how difficult it’d be from a physical energy-expenditure standpoint if I had been on the cusp of 40.

Anyway just good for thought, but I doubt it’d hurt you from a getting-hired standpoint.

jackdanielsga

New

Post by jackdanielsga » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:05 am

Thanks y'all, very helpful!

Is there such a thing as 0L internship? Or a way to do something useful in the prosecution field the summer before starting?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”