What is NYC biglaw REALLY like Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
qkqhdi02

New

What is NYC biglaw REALLY like

Post by qkqhdi02 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm

So I'm having serious second thoughts before applying to law school. I graduated from an Ivy League college with an above median GPA for most T14 schools and scored a 176 on the LSAT. I was more than ready to apply to law school but recently, I'm not really sure whether this is what I want to do. Although I don't mind repetitive jobs that keep me in an office, I'm more of a creative person who prefers to be in a casual environment. Like I'm a person with a tattoo on my wrist if that helps.

I've read so much stuff about how biglaw sucks the life out of you but what is the atmosphere really like? Specifically, is it really that hierarchical and conservative? And although I don't mind working long hours, how many hours say, per week, does an associate work? (I see numbers like 2500 hours thrown out there but I'm having difficulty translating for me to have an actual grasp of those billable hours)

Any comments by anyone who anything to say about working in biglaw (summer associates, associates, stories from friends etc.) would be greatly appreciated!

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: What is NYC biglaw REALLY like

Post by Yugihoe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 pm

No offense, but NYC big law is REALLY exactly like you've read in the hundreds of threads here and elsewhere on the internet. This thread won't give you any new insight. But to recap:

It's the type of job where there you never clock out or have a distinct personal life outside of "work hours". You're paid that big law salary to be on call 24-7 and will always be on standby, i.e. glancing at your phone every few mins even at night or weekends or at the bar or at dinner (the one true exception is if you have a valid reason to not be plugged in like vacation).

Does that mean you are going to be working 24/7? No not exactly. Your hours are going to drastically vary by location, firm, practice group, and overall market conditions. Some firms will have minimum billable requirements for you to remain in good standing and get a bonus. Watch out for this because it will suck if you are slow for reasons outside of your control and don't hit the number (and thus don't get paid a bonus).

There's also a difference between hours billed and hours worked. You might be in the office 9-6 and not have much to do, but docs will come in at 7pm when you're home, and you will still have to then work that night. You might have stretches where you're pulling all nighters or working ever single day for a month, weekends included, and other months, or weeks, where you leave at 5pm every day.

Now whether you should go to law school or into big law based on your personal situation is a different question.

ETA: In terms of culture, it will vary by market, firm and your group within the firm. You'll have laid back groups that are approachable and mentor. You'll have asshole tyrannical midlevels. It's a mixed bag. Generally speaking, big law is hierarchal due to team structures and review of work product based on seniority. Since the most senior associate (and ultimately the partner) will be responsible for anything you send out, everyone is your "boss" if you're a junior.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Aren’t there dozens of threads here on this already? Have they been archived? I know there was a very good long thread in the past few years.

The only thing that has changed is the salary increased once in 10 years- it was it longer?

I will take time to echo that the hours, lack of control of your personal life and the hierarchy are all real. People stay in their class years and advance as a group. It’s static. One more thing - for most people it’s temporary. Dontgo to big law thinking that’s the place you will stay.

On the other hand if you are a workaholic, status obsessed person who doesn’t need sleep and who is preferably from the Midwest or similar moving to the big city, it could be perfect for you. Also the people are generally smart and the partners are experts so there is that as a positive.

Going deeply into debt to have that job and that life is not anything I would recommend. Working years to get back to zero net worth is senseless. There are other careers out there in the big world.
Last edited by Npret on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:24 pm

qkqhdi02 wrote:Like I'm a person with a tattoo on my wrist if that helps.
I think the other posters showed remarkable restraint in not mocking you for this sentiment.

Anyway, biglaw isn't the only career option out of law school. Why are you focused on a career track you already seem to know you won't enjoy?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Personally I’m waiting for the posts that say “why do you think they call it work?” The best are from the former roofers in Texas regarding the soft and spoiled nature of big law associates.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:35 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
qkqhdi02 wrote:Like I'm a person with a tattoo on my wrist if that helps.
I think the other posters showed remarkable restraint in not mocking you for this sentiment.

Anyway, biglaw isn't the only career option out of law school. Why are you focused on a career track you already seem to know you won't enjoy?
My grandfather was actually one of those people. Granted, it was all numbers. He became a rabbi. Not sure how the tattoo would have influenced his big law career if he went that route.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”