Trying on the shoes of Vladimir Lenin: law self-study? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jackdanielsga

New

Trying on the shoes of Vladimir Lenin: law self-study?

Post by jackdanielsga » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:23 am

So, I've been reading E&Es and hornbooks on a few law topics (basic stuff, torts, contracts, etc)

Also got my hands on some Sum and Substance lectures.

A lot of fun.

Questions:
- How does a combination of e&es+Sum&Substance compare to an actual law school course? In terms of depth and scope? I can already tell that it's deeper than undergrad-level law classes.
- I am missing out on the actual cases, is there a way to get free or near-free access to Lexis-Nexis or Westlaw?

BrainsyK

Bronze

Re: Trying on the shoes of Vladimir Lenin: law self-study?

Post by BrainsyK » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:24 am

1. Less depth more scope. They're less expensive.
2. Most of the cases famous enough to make it into an E&E are famous enough to be found for free online.

paradiselost9

New

Post by paradiselost9 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:48 pm

BrainsyK wrote:They're less expensive.
^ lol

OP idk i mean idk if there's really much of an obvious difference. you get to have a dialogue with your teacher, and you get to make jokes with your teacher, and same go for your classmates as well. those things are worth something. largely the value of your education is in the dialogue with the professors and your classmates. the content of the course itself isn't necessarily any different from the content of an E&E in breadth or depth.

you're also missing out on learning how to take a law school exam, which is almost entirely separate from anything i've previously mentioned.

go to Cornell's LII website to read actual cases for free. here's one https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecour ... 26_0310_ZO.

PS law school is a lot of fun, imo, as is the lsat (play around with that)

jackdanielsga

New

Post by jackdanielsga » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:05 pm

paradiselost9 wrote: PS law school is a lot of fun, imo, as is the lsat (play around with that)
Yes! Problem is I'm in my 40s so it's too late to start a new career. And after reading the books and listening to the lectures I understand that it'd be a huge drain on my mental resources if I was to do it part-time while working. Obviously quitting work for 3 years would probably leave me homeless and begging for food when I am too old to do anything useful in this world.

However, I'm holding my fingers crossed for the Mega Millions. Law school tuition would probably be my expense if I was to hit the lottery.

Well, maybe some froyo to celebrate. But definitely in the top 10.
paradiselost9 wrote: go to Cornell's LII website to read actual cases for free. here's one https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecour ... 26_0310_ZO.
Very helpful, thank you. For the case search, I am generally interested in the other cases around the one I am reading, and also subsequent applications of the precedent in the jurisdictions of interest.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:25 am

jackdanielsga wrote:
paradiselost9 wrote: go to Cornell's LII website to read actual cases for free. here's one https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecour ... 26_0310_ZO.
Very helpful, thank you. For the case search, I am generally interested in the other cases around the one I am reading, and also subsequent applications of the precedent in the jurisdictions of interest.
Try out Casetext... It's a cheaper version of Lexis and there's some degree of free access, with access to the citator. I don't think it's a replacement for professional use but the free version might suit your needs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”