Who's the Shakespeare of legal writing? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
khaosan17

New

Who's the Shakespeare of legal writing?

Post by khaosan17 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:44 am

Are there any judges/lawyers whose legal writing clearly stands out from the rest?
Who would law professors/lawyers single out as being some of the best writers of legal opinions?
I'm a rising 1L who's interested in reading some of the best written legal opinions of all time.

I've heard the name Oliver Holmes thrown around a lot. Would you say he's one of the best?

Thank you in advance!

dixiecup

New

Re: Who's the Shakespeare of legal writing?

Post by dixiecup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 am

omg

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:17 pm

As much as I want this to be a flame, I feel like it’s sadly not :roll:

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:42 pm

I really hope this is a flame. If it's not, go enjoy what's left of your summer and put this out of your mind, OP.

khaosan17

New

Post by khaosan17 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 am

Not a flame.

I just wanted to read some well-written opinioms from the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

khaosan17

New

Post by khaosan17 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 am

SFSpartan wrote:I really hope this is a flame. If it's not, go enjoy what's left of your summer and put this out of your mind, OP.
Thanks for your advice. I did just that for the past 3 months and I am now eager to get my brain functioning again.

I'm not a gunner -- just an average guy with an average intellect who wishes to know what the "gold standard" of legal writing is before school starts in a couple weeks!

Besides Judge Holmes, if anyone else can recommend some of the best writers of legal opinions in Ameircan legal history, it would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:57 am

If you insist, some excellent cases to read are: Pennoyer v. Neff, R. v. Dudley and Stephens, Frigaliment Importing Co. v. BNS, Pierson v. Post, Lochner v. New York, and Erie Railroad Co. v. Tompkins. Have fun!

mec215

New

Post by mec215 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Judge Learned Hand, Judge Richard Posner

But you'll read plenty of both in your classes - enjoy your summer!

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:37 pm

If you absolutely must (and you don't), read something by Brian Garner. It will be much more useful than trying to mimic someone else's writing style.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:47 am

Old school professors like Cardozo's style. I personally can't make heads or tails of it.

khaosan17

New

Post by khaosan17 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 am

SFSpartan wrote:If you insist, some excellent cases to read are: Pennoyer v. Neff, R. v. Dudley and Stephens, Frigaliment Importing Co. v. BNS, Pierson v. Post, Lochner v. New York, and Erie Railroad Co. v. Tompkins. Have fun!
Thank you SFSpartan!

I'll Google them and read them! :D

khaosan17

New

Post by khaosan17 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 am

White Dwarf wrote:If you absolutely must (and you don't), read something by Brian Garner. It will be much more useful than trying to mimic someone else's writing style.
Thank you Dwarf! I see that he's written many "how to" books -- reminds me of E.B. White ("Elements of Style").
Will check it out on Amazon!

Toadvine

New

Post by Toadvine » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:18 am

I'm going to echo everyone else's sentiment--that you don't need to do this and you will hate yourself for asking this question later--but John Marshall is my favorite. That said, you'll get your fill in Con Law. If you want to exercise your brain, read a novel.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kafka Esquire

New

Post by Kafka Esquire » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:08 pm

shakespeare is a complex character. what aspect of his writing are you looking for?

Kafka Esquire

New

Post by Kafka Esquire » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm

also plz ignore anyone and everyone who tells you what to do with you summer. do what you want. if you're naturally interested in anything remotely related to law school, dig in. be happy. (e.g., if you think reading E&Es is going to make you happy, read E&Es.)

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 pm

We had a legal writing workshop at my firm and the presenter swore Justice Roberts and Kagan are mistake free and some of the best legal writers.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:36 am

Reading this book is probably a far better use of your time than just finding random opinions to read: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/261 ... oint-taken.

It has examples of good judicial writing from a variety of judges, and, more importantly, the author tells you what makes for good judicial writing. Off of the top of my head, the author has examples from Roberts, Kagan, Posner, Kozinski, and some of the other usual suspects.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:33 am

Cardozo

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:51 pm

BulletTooth wrote:Reading this book is probably a far better use of your time than just finding random opinions to read: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/261 ... oint-taken.

It has examples of good judicial writing from a variety of judges, and, more importantly, the author tells you what makes for good judicial writing. Off of the top of my head, the author has examples from Roberts, Kagan, Posner, Kozinski, and some of the other usual suspects.
Lol that’s the guy who gave a presentation at my firm...actually it was pretty good.

paradiselost9

New

Post by paradiselost9 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:56 pm

khaosan17 wrote:Are there any judges/lawyers whose legal writing clearly stands out from the rest?
Who would law professors/lawyers single out as being some of the best writers of legal opinions?
I'm a rising 1L who's interested in reading some of the best written legal opinions of all time.

I've heard the name Oliver Holmes thrown around a lot. Would you say he's one of the best?

Thank you in advance!
as a lit student who is way too touchy i take issue with your glib assumptions about shakespeare

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”