Any Georgetown or GW part-time students? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pinnylaw9

New

Any Georgetown or GW part-time students?

Post by pinnylaw9 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm just looking to learn about Part-Time law programs in general. Some questions to get the conversation going:

- Why did you choose PT over FT?
- What are the pros/cons of being PT over FT?
- Do PT students receive the same considerations in scholarships as FT students?
- Can you still participate in law review, clinics, study abroad opportunities, research and other law school activities as a PT?

Thanks so much! Looking to apply either this year or next, but I live in DC and want to consider the option of keeping my job while attending law school.

mec215

New

Re: Any Georgetown or GW part-time students?

Post by mec215 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:18 pm

I did PT at GW and loved it. I decided to choose PT because I was working at a boutique law firm as a legal assistant and wanted to continue working while in school (I eventually became a law clerk at the same firm while I was in school). GW has a big evening program and does a great job integrating the evening students into the school at large. PT students do receive the same considerations in scholarships as FT students, and there are some evening-student-specific endowed scholarships (I received one of those). You can participate in almost everything (journals, research, moot court, other clubs) to the extent your schedule allows. I was a member of Law Review and the Moot Court Board as a PT student. All club/activity meetings are scheduled in the evenings, and presidents/editors are very understanding if you can't make a meeting due to a class or work conflict. The only thing you can't do at GW as an evening student is clinics if you have a day job. Due to the nature of clinics, and the fact that you're often working with clients during normal business hours, I could never do a clinic because it conflicted with my day job. If you're only working part-time at a job while in law school, you may be able to make a clinic work with your schedule.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”