LCLD? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
apatel23

New

LCLD?

Post by apatel23 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Hello,

I am currently an upcoming 1L and I received an invitation to join the LCLD (Leadership Council on Legal Diversity from my law school. I have never heard of this before and was doing some research on it and saw it's a mentorship program and what not, overall I thought it looked interesting. Although, I have no idea if this is useful to take part in and if it'll make a difference as I hope to transfer schools after this year. So does anyone have any advice on this as I don't have a clue if I should take part in this program.

Thanks

P.S. I have no clue if this is the proper heading to put it under, so please forgive me if it isn't.

jump4lyfe

New

Re: LCLD?

Post by jump4lyfe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:06 pm

apatel23 wrote:Hello,

I am currently an upcoming 1L and I received an invitation to join the LCLD (Leadership Council on Legal Diversity from my law school. I have never heard of this before and was doing some research on it and saw it's a mentorship program and what not, overall I thought it looked interesting. Although, I have no idea if this is useful to take part in and if it'll make a difference as I hope to transfer schools after this year. So does anyone have any advice on this as I don't have a clue if I should take part in this program.

Thanks

P.S. I have no clue if this is the proper heading to put it under, so please forgive me if it isn't.
Yeah absolutely join it. If you want to try and get a firm job your 1L summer, the organization is one of the only ways that many firms offer summer associate positions to 1Ls. I would not know if it would guarantee you a job but it would certainly get you a foot in the door.

steez22

New

Post by steez22 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am

You should 1000% take part in the LCLD program. It's going to be really helpful finding an awesome job for your 1L summer and an amazing networking experience.

redmachine

New

Post by redmachine » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:51 pm

It's a way for firms (which are super-white) to advertise their token minorities. Joining it will help you, in the sense that you're telling the firm "hey, I'll be your publicity token" which they'll like, but it's also gross.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”