NUSL MLS difficulty Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dropout

New

NUSL MLS difficulty

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:07 pm

I was accepted into northeastern's online masters in legal studies program. This is not a degree that will allow me to become an attorney, but it is taught by the law school instructors and is a part of the law school. I am excited to attend because I am no longer a competitive applicant for law school due to dropping out of three law schools while i was ill and in denial about my limitations. Now I am able to focus on school. I have a 3.75 in an online mba program with just 2 courses left. However, i have a 3.33 in the upper level courses and the school is practically open admission for those with a 3.0 gpa, theres no gmat requirement for anyone either. I lasted until midterms at thomas jefferson school of law and placed in the 75th percentile on all the exams before withdrawing. I am hoping that the mls will be more similar to the jd (which requires assigned readings and parallel reasoning) as opposed to the mba (self directed research and innovation). the cost of the degree is only $30k and once my fafsa goes through i may get a few grand in scholarships. I will be paying my living expenses out of pocket.
I am currently a part time paralegal assistant. I am also a part time tutor, and if needed i could cut my hours there. I am determined to try my best to be successful in this program. I am able to comfortably spend 20 hours a week studying. At TJSL i spent 25 hours a week studying. In my mba program i only spend 10 hours, which only requires 2-3 days a week to complete. I should note that during the first 4 courses in my mba I spent 20 hours a week studying. I would finish all the assignments for the entire course while the class was only half over. Will i likely be able to stay above the gpa requirement of 3.0 for the mls program?  How difficult are mls programs?

edited for grammar
Last edited by dropout on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: NUSL MLS difficulty

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Honestly, I remember your old account and your constant trolling. Even if this isn't a troll (which it is), what does the MLS actually do for you? Nothing. It doesn't make you a lawyer nor allows you to become one.

Stop trolling.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:36 pm

You can tell by the detail that i am not trolling. Im curious, which parts do you not believe?
I have researched paralegal wages based on the level of degree obtained and mls grads earn more than associates degree holders. A BS would be competitive, but the degree would take more time and likely be just as expensive.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:26 pm

If you thought i was trolling because the question is so obscure, you should know that this information is impossible to find on the web and i did a good amount of researching to try to find the answer myself before posting.

DerKatze

New

Post by DerKatze » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:57 pm

dropout wrote:I have researched paralegal wages based on the level of degree obtained and mls grads earn more than associates degree holders. A BS would be competitive, but the degree would take more time and likely be just as expensive.
I'm confused by this. To go to law school (and this program), you need a BS or a BA. So what's the point in obtaining an MLS?

I expect it would easy to stay above a 3.0. Typically, master's degrees are graded easier than undergrad because there isn't anyone they are trying to weed out. A program like this, in particular, I would expect to be a cash cow, and you can't collect revenue from students if they flunk out. None of the classes look like they are with JD students, so they won't be on a curve, either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:16 pm

DerKatze wrote:
dropout wrote:I have researched paralegal wages based on the level of degree obtained and mls grads earn more than associates degree holders. A BS would be competitive, but the degree would take more time and likely be just as expensive.
I'm confused by this. To go to law school (and this program), you need a BS or a BA. So what's the point in obtaining an MLS?

I expect it would easy to stay above a 3.0. Typically, master's degrees are graded easier than undergrad because there isn't anyone they are trying to weed out. A program like this, in particular, I would expect to be a cash cow, and you can't collect revenue from students if they flunk out. None of the classes look like they are with JD students, so they won't be on a curve, either.
Thank you very much for your advice, you made some great points. I am relieved now. The point in the MLS is that some students are not able to gain admission to a decent law school. Frankly, many students who are going to the t4 or even some t3 schools would be better off with a MLS from a better law school.
Personally, i don't like my chances of getting past the C&F at the bar anyway so a jd is to risky for me to consider even if i was accepted. I was surprised by this and i hope that a NUSL degree will open similar doors in case i decide to go that route.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Sorry I accidentally deleted a sentence in that response. I am overtired :oops:
What i meant to say is that WUSTL told me that their mls grads go on to be college instructors sometimes and that i hope that a NUSL grad would also have that opprtunity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”