Masters for Patent Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschool99

New

Masters for Patent Law

Post by lawschool99 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:28 pm

I currently hold an undergrad degree in computer science and am very interested in pursuing a career in patent law. I was wondering what others thought about the need of having a masters (MS - master of science/ME - master of engineering) for a career in patent law. Would it be preferable to have a masters in computer science if I see myself becoming a patent attorney in the CS field?

If so, would it be preferable to have a master of science or master of engineering? Or would the difference be negligible?

Thank you in advance.

pfunkera

Bronze

Re: Masters for Patent Law

Post by pfunkera » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:52 am

I recently passed the patent bar and finished law school after working as a scientist for many years. All of the patent attorneys I work with have a PhD except for myself and another guy. I have a masters degree in organic chemistry but had nearly 15 years of experience when I started law school. I am not sure how it works with computer science, but you are unlikely to beat out another applicant with an advanced degree when applying for jobs.
Sometimes, your application may not even make it through the HR screening process if they are looking for an advanced degree. However, the more experience you have, companies start looking less at what degree you have and more at what you have accomplished. Start looking at open positions and what they are looking for.

jhett

Bronze

Re: Masters for Patent Law

Post by jhett » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:49 pm

You do not need a Masters in CS or EE to be employable as a patent attorney. Advanced degrees are only necessary for the chem/bio/pharma disciplines. Most EE/CS patent attorneys only have a bachelors.

Relevant work experience is actually valued more highly than an advanced degree for EE/CS, but you don't need that either if you go to a good law school and/or have good grades.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”