Finding a Job After Quitting Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolistheworst

New

Finding a Job After Quitting Law School

Post by lawschoolistheworst » Sat May 26, 2018 5:04 pm

I'm in a troubling situation, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to feel this way. I hate law school, and I don't think I want to continue. However, there are possible consequences, and I would like to know what others think.

Before law school, I earned an Master's and was working professionally with a $75k salary. I then relocated and landed a grant-funded job that was, of course, term limited based on the grant. I will admit that most of my life I've been one of those cliches who said law school is my dream, so when the end of that job approached, I applied for the only part-time program in Seattle (at Seattle University) so I could continue working in my field. Evening classes after work were brutal, so after the summer, I transitioned to full time and stopped working. Of course I should have applied to UW. I realize that now, and SU's dismal ranking is part of the reason I see no value in continuing my legal education. My beginning salary graduating from SU will likely be lower than my pre-law school salary.

Here's where I start to doubt what to do. I have been successful. I think I'll be top 15% if not top 10% of my class. I did apply for transfer, but I feel no motivation to continue. I've even started applying for jobs in my pre-law school field, but I'm worried going to law school for a year and quitting will make me unemployable.

I would love advice if you have it. If have personal experience you'd be willing to share, that would be great.

sunyplatt

New

Re: Finding a Job After Quitting Law School

Post by sunyplatt » Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 am

I am a law school applicant however I have not attended law school as of yet. In my opinion based on reading your post it sounds as though you would probably dislike being a lawyer and with this in mind, based on your post, it seems as though you were doing ok financially and professionally in your prior career. I would say return to your former career path if that is what you enjoy doing and you are making a respectable salary. In my opinion it is better to discontinue investing time and money into something that you do not have any interest in any longer especially with how expensive law school is.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”