Only having worked at law firms before applying to law school --> Seen as one-dimensional? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
effervescence18

New

Only having worked at law firms before applying to law school --> Seen as one-dimensional?

Post by effervescence18 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 pm

By the end of Summer 2018 (summer before junior year), I'll have completed internships at 3 law firms. My goal was to intern at around 4-5 additional law firms between junior year and senior year, checking out multiple practice areas, and to take a few years off after undergrad to work full-time, either as a compliance analyst or as a paralegal.

I have an upcoming Fall 2018 internship interview at a law firm, but I'm starting to worry that I'll be seen as one-dimensional for only having worked at law firms before applying law school (instead of doing some work for a senator, a nonprofit, a consulting firm, etc.). The general consensus here seems to be that softs like these don't matter much. Could you guys weigh in on whether this means I don't have to worry about my pre-LS activities being in the same field and can just continue doing what I enjoy instead of worrying about diversifying?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”