What is your #1 piece of advice for success in 1L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous Questioner

New

What is your #1 piece of advice for success in 1L?

Postby Anonymous Questioner » Mon May 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Subject says it all. Feel free to expound or add supplementary advice, if you feel so inclined; I welcome anything you have to offer. Thanks, friends!

redbulls2595

New

Re: What is your #1 piece of advice for success in 1L?

Postby redbulls2595 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Law school is a marathon, not a sprint. Don’t overwork yourself too much, but find that perfect schedule or method of studying and stick with it. Outline early + do practice exams (this is a must bc your exam grades not only depend on how well you know your info and rules of law but how you apply the law to the fact patterns while conforming yourself to what your professor wants).

+ enjoy yourself. Take some time off from studying to clear your mind and go to social events at school, but don’t overdo it haha

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 am

Study for the exam and what your professor wants, not knowledge of the course. Take practice exams and check model answers.
Organize your exam well so it’s easy to read.
The only thing that matters in 1L is getting the grade on the final, focus on that.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Postby rwhyAn » Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 am

As someone who did fairly well, I did (almost) all the readings and tried to brief most of the cases. It's not a must, but it made it a lot easier for me when it came time for outlining. That way, I didn't have to re-read the cases later on and waste time. Lastly, an outline is only good if you know where to find the information in it. Make sure that you make some sort of table of contents for your outlines so that you can find the material quickly come exam time. I don't think I was necessarily smarter than my classmates, but I think I was better prepared.

Law2020!

New

Postby Law2020! » Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Do not pay any attention to what everyone else is doing. Focus on developing a schedule that works for you early on and outline early (beginning of October-any earlier will not be helpful because you won’t have a broad picture of the course).

Halltheway

New

Postby Halltheway » Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 am

Basically what everyone has already said. My personal top 4:
1. Don't get distracted by what other people are doing.
Don't try to gauge your knowledge/grade by other people. The people that raise their hands everyday are not the smartest. They are hyping themselves up to psych everyone else out. Stay focused on what you know and what you are capable of.

2. Start prepping from day 1.
Slow and steady wins the race and its a long fucking marathon. Just because the rest of your section is trying to make/find/buy 3-4 outlines during Thanksgiving break doesn't mean you should be doing the same. Compile your notes every week and slowly start to put everything together. Find an outline from an upperclassman so you can see how to format yours/what kind of information you need in it. By the time Thanksgiving comes around, you should be refining your outlines, not just starting them. Doing a little bit each week helps SO MUCH by the time you're at Week 9 or 10.

3. Figure out what studying method works best for you.
Just because everyone is forming study groups doesn't mean you need to automatically do the same. However, make sure you try all options. Study alone, study with your friends, study with a group. See what works best for you and stick to that.

4. Go to office hours/figure out what your professors want.
This is so critical I can't even begin to explain. Knowing the entire book cover to cover is not going to guarantee you an A. Knowing all the material and figuring out what your teacher wants to see on the exam is how you get an A. Go to your professor's office hours. GO TO YOUR PROFESSOR'S OFFICE HOURS. Ask them any and every question you have. Bring in samples of your hypos for them to go over. Ask them how they would want questions answered and what specific elements they are looking for. You are not being graded on knowing the most material; you are being graded on how you apply that material to a specific professor's type of format.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?