Arizona Opinions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Zazzy91

New

Arizona Opinions

Post by Zazzy91 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:29 am

I've asked a question regarding Michigan State vs Arizona before.. I live in Michigan and want to return to Michigan, but I'm leaning towards UA. I want to expand on my life experiences, but I am hesitant about such a drastic move. On that note, what are your opinions of Tucson/Arizona?

I'm an Arab-American and I wear a headscarf. I don't know what to expect for myself if I attend UA. Any advice or comments about Arizona are welcomed.

Thank you in advance!

goingnutslawschool

New

Re: Arizona Opinions

Post by goingnutslawschool » Mon May 07, 2018 12:42 am

Sorry, I cannot answer the question you posted about safety concerns wearing a headscarf in Arizona but from everything I have read the advise has always been to go to a school in the area that you see yourself practicing in. That is what will help you get hired in that area. But I wish you good luck.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon May 07, 2018 8:26 am

Tucson is a university town and as such has a lot of international students. It's not NYC or LA or Chicago, but it's maybe more cosmopolitan than a non-university town of its size. I can't say no one's ever going to say anything to you or be an asshole, but it's the sort of town that would pride itself on people not doing that, and you certainly shouldn't have any issues on campus. (There is a Muslim center in town that has had problems because it's right under a student housing high rise and idiots have thrown shit out the windows onto the center. That said, I suspect drunk undergrads in the high rise would do that regardless of what's underneath them.)

All that said, Tucson places decently in Arizona and to a slightly lesser extent the mountain west/California. I don't know why you would go to U of A if your goal is to practice in Michigan. I get wanting to expand your life experiences, but going away from your target region to attend a regional school isn't the most practical way to do this (it would be different if you were going to Stanford or something). It would be better to consider study abroad during law school, or maybe doing a visiting semester/year your 3L year.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon May 07, 2018 10:20 am

If you want to work in Michigan, going to Arizona makes literally zero sense. That is the end of the matter. Arizona isn't going to get you back to Michigan. Full stop.

Zazzy91

New

Post by Zazzy91 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:13 pm

My question was regarding the type of community Tucson has. Thank you Nixy for answering that.

The reasons I intend on leaving Michigan are numerous. I know staying in Michigan is ideal but I already have legal connections here that are supportive of me, and I will save more money going to a better school.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon May 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Zazzy91 wrote:My question was regarding the type of community Tucson has. Thank you Nixy for answering that.

The reasons I intend on leaving Michigan are numerous. I know staying in Michigan is ideal but I already have legal connections here that are supportive of me, and I will save more money going to a better school.
Except thats not how it works. As people explained to you in the other thread, having a degree from Arizona is going to be actively harmful in getting a job in Michigan.

While you might want to ignore the advice of people who have gone through school and now are working and part of the hiring process on the other end, just recognize you are actively making a potentially career-ruining decision if you want to practice in Michigan. Just fyi.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”