JD/MSIS (Masters of Science Information Systems) at UT Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mrcool836

New

JD/MSIS (Masters of Science Information Systems) at UT

Post by mrcool836 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm a 0L right now choosing where I will be attending and have started looking into a potential dual degree. The JD/MSIS seems appealing to me because of how much of a role data and data analytics are beginning to play in every field. I guess my goals out of this program would be to practice for a few years and then have the option to pivot into a legal data analytics role (if this is a viable option). I called and asked UT about the program, and was told it is usually for people wanting to become a legal librarian. However, I could see the benefits of an MSIS going beyond that job, especially looking into the future role data will play in law. I'm wondering if this degree would make me stand out in an increasingly technology driven legal field. Here are some questions I have if anyone has some insights or sources of information:

Is this program a viable option for a career in legal data analytics, or would I be wasting my time/money?

Is legal librarianship a good field? I hadn't really known about it until I asked about this program.

Would it be attractive during OCI if I spun it correctly, I am hoping to work in big law (I think)?

The program requires summer school between 1L and 2L year, and then has the same finish timeline of 3 years. Would the opportunity cost of a 1L summer internship offset the benefits of a dual degree?

Is legal data analytics a field that is emerging? I have seen indications that it is, but it is hard to find a reliable source of information on this.

Here is a link to the program: https://law.utexas.edu/academics/dual-d ... n-studies/

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: JD/MSIS (Masters of Science Information Systems) at UT

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 pm

That program isn't going to teach you high level data analytics. Its going to teach you how to be a librarian.

Go get a PHD in stats or computer science if you want high level data analysis teaching.

mrcool836

New

Post by mrcool836 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:51 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:That program isn't going to teach you high level data analytics. Its going to teach you how to be a librarian.

Go get a PHD in stats or computer science if you want high level data analysis teaching.

I think just the combo with a JD is geared toward librarianship though. The people who are in the MSIS program not doing the dual degree seem to have good job placement in data analytics jobs.

Aptitude

New

Post by Aptitude » Sat May 12, 2018 11:34 am

Is legal data analytics a field that is emerging? I have seen indications that it is, but it is hard to find a reliable source of information on this.
Founder of Legalist is a 19 year-old dropout from her Computer Science program, so you don't have to have any degree to be a leader in the legal data analysts field.

There's no required degree, as you can see from Eva Shang's success. But, skills in math and math based topics like stats, and computer science are of high value.

But skills in math are valued in many, many other fields as well. Just a useful thing to learn about in general.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”