Firefighter law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CaptCullen

New

Firefighter law

Post by CaptCullen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 am

I am currently a captain with a city fire department and have been given the opportunity from the VA to attend law school and not only have it fully paid for but ALSO be paid to attend. I have a family and still work so I would be going part time, most likely to UMass Dartmouth or Suffolk. My goal after school is to go solo and work with guys at the station and possibly as a consultant for fire related issues for other lawers. My other option is to continue business school, get an MBA, and try to find consulting work that way. Whichever path I go down it will be in addition to staying in the fire service. I'm here looking for insight and advice as to which path provides the most potential once graduate school, either MBA or law, is complete.

albanach

Gold

Re: Firefighter law

Post by albanach » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:54 am

CaptCullen wrote:I am currently a captain with a city fire department and have been given the opportunity from the VA to attend law school and not only have it fully paid for but ALSO be paid to attend. I have a family and still work so I would be going part time, most likely to UMass Dartmouth or Suffolk. My goal after school is to go solo and work with guys at the station and possibly as a consultant for fire related issues for other lawers. My other option is to continue business school, get an MBA, and try to find consulting work that way. Whichever path I go down it will be in addition to staying in the fire service. I'm here looking for insight and advice as to which path provides the most potential once graduate school, either MBA or law, is complete.
You should be cautious of the ethical issues that can come from multidisciplinary practice. You may want to talk to a lawyer in the state in which you think you will practice for guidance about how and whether you could combine staying in the fire service with providing related legal services, other than as an attorney employed by the fire department.

CaptCullen

New

Post by CaptCullen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:08 pm

I would not be practicing on behalf of or against my department. I would help the people I work with but not on issues directly related to my specific department as well as consult for law firms on fire realted matters.

Civilservant

New

Post by Civilservant » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:05 pm

I don't get the question, gives you the best potential of what? Is it potential to make the most money? Are the choices to get some kind of job after an MBA, or helping your buddies drafting their wills and other ancillary legal needs?

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:47 am

(1) Memorize Rescue Doctrine

(2) Forgo three-years of pain and indenturetude.

(3) Pretend that "Firefighter Law" is a thing.

(4) Pretend that you are an expert in Firefighter Law.

(5) Thank me later :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:26 pm

do you appear in any of those firefighter calendars, and if so, could you link me?

ChangeGoinCome

New

Post by ChangeGoinCome » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am

People here are providing bad advice.

ChangeGoinCome

New

Post by ChangeGoinCome » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 am

Wish we had some of the old TLS users who were always ready to provide well-informed guidance.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:18 am

jess wrote:do you appear in any of those firefighter calendars, and if so, could you link me?
Linked, by Special Appearance... so as Not to Waive Something in Rule 12

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”