Career opportunities for international JD Students Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shwetavsingh

New

Career opportunities for international JD Students

Post by shwetavsingh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 am

Keeping in mind the expensive JD and recent immigration policy. Is it worth to do JD from T14. DO FIRMS HIRE INTERNATIONAL JD STUDENTS? PLEASE HELP

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Career opportunities for international JD Students

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 am

The truthful answer is some do, some dont, but it is generally much harder for international students to get a biglaw job in comparison to their similarly situated classmates.

The exception I saw from OCI at my t13 was when a specific international student had a language that the firm particularly needed. For example, knew someone who speaks arabic. Firm X needed an arabic speaker. He got an offer there. Otherwise, an international student at a t13 is in real trouble of striking out. It is expensive for firms to play a lottery that may or may not pay out.

The international students at my t13 clearly struggled at OCI and many are having to go back to their home countries because they didn't get a biglaw job in the U.S. No biglaw job, no chance at a visa.

This is all before the administration changes the visa lottery by the way, which by all accounts will make it even more difficult for international law students to stay in the U.S.

The best thing to do here is get a law degree in your home country then try to get an LLM from a t13 law school in the U.S. That still gives you a shot at some biglaw in NYC and you can take the NY bar.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”