Will this have any impact on character and fitness? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawapplicant2017

New

Will this have any impact on character and fitness?

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm

I have had a history of OCD and anxiety symptoms. Am currently taking lexapro for anxiety and it has helped immensely even though I still have OCD and intrusive thoughts. I went to the Dr. today was diagnosed with ADHD. And the Dr. deemed that the anxiety and OCD have been yielded from the root of the ADHD.

If you take medicine for ADHD and were diagnosed with it later in life, will there be any impact on Character and Fitness if you take ADHD medicine?

LSATPREPPER

New

Re: Will this have any impact on character and fitness?

Post by LSATPREPPER » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:58 pm

No.

Flo2017bartkr

New

Post by Flo2017bartkr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:32 pm

They cannot legally ask you about this, not do you have to reveal it. It won't effect character and fitness something happened, like went off your meds and did or said something that isn't great (long list) that has made its way into some type of public record they will find.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 pm

You do not have to reveal that you have a medical issue or your treatment for the medical issue

IPProf

New

Post by IPProf » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Flo2017bartkr wrote:They cannot legally ask you about this, not do you have to reveal it. It won't effect character and fitness something happened, like went off your meds and did or said something that isn't great (long list) that has made its way into some type of public record they will find.
Many states ask if you have any mental health issues that would affect your ability to practice law, and when I checked a few years ago several states asked if you have any such issues period. One of those seems to have switched to the "affect your ability" framing, however, so maybe that has finally disappeared.

But I wouldn't worry too much. Lawyers are regularly licensed despite long treatment histories.

https://www.jud.ct.gov/cbec/Feb17/Form1E.pdf Question 36.

http://barexam.virginia.gov/pdf/SampleCFQ.pdf Question 18.2.

Flo2017bartkr

New

Post by Flo2017bartkr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:33 pm

IPProf wrote:
Flo2017bartkr wrote:They cannot legally ask you about this, not do you have to reveal it. It won't effect character and fitness something happened, like went off your meds and did or said something that isn't great (long list) that has made its way into some type of public record they will find.
Many states ask if you have any mental health issues that would affect your ability to practice law, and when I checked a few years ago several states asked if you have any such issues period. One of those seems to have switched to the "affect your ability" framing, however, so maybe that has finally disappeared.
Right: They CANNOT legally ask if you have been treated for mental illness. If they do, they are violating Federal law. This has been litigated. They CAN ask about your behavior. Florida does not ask for medical records (treatment or mental health is medical treatment/records). Im certain about this. Now, if you have some kind of "episode" or poor behavior, secondary to mental illness that you do not, or did not, have under control, THAT they can ask. That you have to disclose, or you are not being candid- big no, no.
But I wouldn't worry too much. Lawyers are regularly licensed despite long treatment histories.

https://www.jud.ct.gov/cbec/Feb17/Form1E.pdf Question 36.

http://barexam.virginia.gov/pdf/SampleCFQ.pdf Question 18.2.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”