Army/Air Force Reserves - National Guard + Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beinghuman

Army/Air Force Reserves - National Guard + Law School

Post by beinghuman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,

My younger brother is planning on attending law school this coming fall and is interested in serving in the reserves or national guard during law school. He's interested in Big Law but wants to get involved in politics later in life. He has a few acceptances from T-14 schools. Still waiting on HYS though.

I advised him against it as I strongly believe he should primarily focus on law school. I also suspect that the commitment might stand in the way of his ability to participate in important law school activities and/or summer professional opportunities. So it might end up being a big mistake.

However, I'd thought I'd post this to see if there are people on this forum who are in that situation or know someone who's serving while in law school.
Insights and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rc8

New

Re: Army/Air Force Reserves - National Guard + Law School

Post by rc8 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:07 pm

also interested in this. question though: did your brother already commission as an officer in the reserves/national guard? it usually takes around 10 months to complete all the training (basic training, OCS, BOLC) to commission as a 2nd lieutenant, and then afterwards you start your reserve time (1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year).

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:26 am

Well, he'd be doing basic training over the summer... the 1 weekend, 2 weeks thing is what's advertised but I'm suspecting there could be more than that in terms of obligations.
rc8 wrote:also interested in this. question though: did your brother already commission as an officer in the reserves/national guard? it usually takes around 10 months to complete all the training (basic training, OCS, BOLC) to commission as a 2nd lieutenant, and then afterwards you start your reserve time (1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year).

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm

beinghuman wrote:Well, he'd be doing basic training over the summer... the 1 weekend, 2 weeks thing is what's advertised but I'm suspecting there could be more than that in terms of obligations.
rc8 wrote:also interested in this. question though: did your brother already commission as an officer in the reserves/national guard? it usually takes around 10 months to complete all the training (basic training, OCS, BOLC) to commission as a 2nd lieutenant, and then afterwards you start your reserve time (1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year).
Many people do this. It kind of sucks, but doesn't get in the way of LS stuff. The free healthcare, stipend, and salary for active time is pretty sweet. It won't interfere with OCI, SA, or any other thing, except maybe write-on, depending how his schools does it.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:40 am

My buddy just came down on orders and will have to put off 3L for a year. And miss his kid's birth. It's not just free money in exchange for your weekends, it can really mess up your timeline. Just something to be aware of.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Nagster5 wrote:My buddy just came down on orders and will have to put off 3L for a year. And miss his kid's birth. It's not just free money in exchange for your weekends, it can really mess up your timeline. Just something to be aware of.
Wow that sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”