Why are more people choosing not to practice? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thrivinNstrivin

New

Why are more people choosing not to practice?

Post by thrivinNstrivin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:35 pm

0L here. I am genuinely curious as to why people choose not to practice after law school. I have met many individuals who are currently in law school who believe they do not want to do practice after they are done. I am not here to pass judgment, but rather figure out what it was/is about the legal profession and/or law school that turned those people off.

Full disclosure: I have worked as a legal assistant in a small firm and biglaw for 3 years now and am applying for law School for the 2018-2019 cycle.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: Why are more people choosing not to practice?

Post by totesTheGoat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:26 pm

As somebody who is in practice, I can only guess, but guess I wlll. :mrgreen:

I bet a few of the non-practicing types went to law school because it was 3 more years of academia instead of having to go get a job in the real world. They may have enough family money that they don't have to work or something.

Some are working in JD-advantage jobs where they're not officially practicing, but they're using their law skills in a different capacity.

Some dipped their toes in law and discovered that they hate it, and ended up finding something else to do unrelated to their field. This is especially prevalent with those who blindly step into biglaw only to discover that it's not all puppies and rainbows.

Most of the rest didn't get a job offer and decided to stop fighting for it after a while.

/just guesses

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”