ICE Human Rights Violators & War Crimes Unit Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
call-me-bubbles

Bronze

ICE Human Rights Violators & War Crimes Unit

Post by call-me-bubbles » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 am

Does anyone have any experience working there or know someone who worked there? I'm wondering if it has any reputation, good or bad, in the human rights/int'l crim law community and if it would be a good way to spend the summer. I've heard it's totally different than "Main ICE," where I would *not* be interested in working... I'm not sure if the unit is well-known/reputable/would provide substantive work, or if any association with ICE would come with certain connotations should future employers see that on my resume.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Re: ICE Human Rights Violators & War Crimes Unit

Post by criminaltheory » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:49 am

If ICE had a puppy protection unit, it would be tainted. Depending on what exactly your goals are ("human rights" is pretty vague), proceed with caution.

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 pm

criminaltheory wrote:If ICE had a puppy protection unit, it would be tainted. Depending on what exactly your goals are ("human rights" is pretty vague), proceed with caution.
Why? Have you worked there, or have family members or friends who work or have worked for ICE?

shantideva

New

Post by shantideva » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:00 pm

oshberg28 wrote:
criminaltheory wrote:If ICE had a puppy protection unit, it would be tainted. Depending on what exactly your goals are ("human rights" is pretty vague), proceed with caution.
Why? Have you worked there, or have family members or friends who work or have worked for ICE?
Some "true believer" type public interest offices (i.e. Bronx Defenders) might hold it against you if they see ICE on your resume, given the types of populations they represent.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Anything to do with ICE has a bad rep even in some DA's offices. Makes prosecutors mad when ICE agents show up at court and drag off their witnesses. Happened to a colleague of mine yesterday.

wubwubwub

New

Post by wubwubwub » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 am

Wait, they have a special unit for the human rights violations and war crimes? I thought that was pretty much agency-wide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”