Dog? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
catahoula

New

Re: Dog?

Post by catahoula » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 am

I had a ~8 month old puppy when I started 1L. I don’t regret the timing at all. I made it through the difficult puppy stage before moving, and then was able to have a young dog while I was in school and had - quite frankly - far more free time and flexibility than I ever will when working full-time. Especially if you’re thinking of going into big law after graduating (in which case you will have zero time to take care of a pet), now is definitely a good time to get a dog!

I can confidently say that the benefits of having a dog in law school have infinitely outweighed the costs of paying a little pet rent and finding a pet-friendly apartment (which wasn’t hard; I’m sure it’s more difficult in a major city).

For what it’s worth, I have a fairly large, high-energy dog and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. But I like to go for long walks, hikes, etc. If you choose wisely, your dog will be suited to your activity levels. The average dog gets far less exercise than mine and does just fine. :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”