Can you spend more than one semester abroad? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
corgiterrier17

New

Can you spend more than one semester abroad?

Post by corgiterrier17 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 am

Hi,

I looked at the websites of several schools but they don't really specify whether I can spend only one semester abroad or can spend up to two semesters (2L spring, 3L fall) for international exchange programs. I'd love to spend both semesters abroad but I don't know if that is allowed in most schools. Does anyone have any idea?

squappy

New

Re: Can you spend more than one semester abroad?

Post by squappy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:36 am

Are you trying to do two different programs for a semester each? Might be easier to do one full academic year. I know Northwestern offers a few full year programs for 3L

corgiterrier17

New

Post by corgiterrier17 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 am

squappy wrote:Are you trying to do two different programs for a semester each? Might be easier to do one full academic year. I know Northwestern offers a few full year programs for 3L
Yes, because I want to spend each semester in different countries. Thanks!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:46 am

Based on your post history, you aren't in school yet, so this is way too premature. Study abroad programs are school-specific.

That said, don't plan on taking a whole year to study abroad before you have employment locked down. If you don't get something during OCI, your 2L spring and 3L fall semesters are going to be crucial for finding a job.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:47 am

Some schools offer year-long dual degree programs, which functionally equate to two semesters abroad. The HLS-Cambridge and CLS-SciencesPo/Oxford programs are examples. I’ve never heard of someone spending more than two semesters abroad, or of two discrete study abroad programs in different semesters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”