Productivity/Scheduling Apps Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
StopLawying

Silver

Productivity/Scheduling Apps

Post by StopLawying » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Looking for a good app that can help me with scheduling/organizing tasks.
Would like to keep things a bit more organized this semester.
And, if anyone has any recommendations for other useful apps that would be helpful for law school, feel free to add that here.
Thanks in advance!

arose928

Bronze

Re: Productivity/Scheduling Apps

Post by arose928 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:18 pm

I use Any.do (https://www.any.do/) as basically a souped-up to do list. I have different to do lists (for class, clinic, getting a job, personal life, etc) that I can see either on their own or all rolled up together. So for instance if I just want to see what I have to do for clinic in a week, I can just look at my clinic list, but if I want to see everything I have to do that week, I can see all of that at once. For some reason that was a hard feature to find in a to do list app; most of them just had individual lists and you couldn't see everything at once. Each task has a due date, you can set an alarm for when you want to do it, add notes, add subtasks, set recurring tasks. It probably has push notifications but I don't use those. It has a desktop app and iphone app (and I assume apps for non-apple products but I haven't looked for that). It's super simple to add tasks and the design is clean and intuitive.

I find its useful for helping me get into a rhythm but then eventually I don't need it that much anymore. So like right now at the beginning of the semester I'm using it more to keep me on top of reading for class and stuff but then my schedule will settle down and I'll just internalize that "Sunday afternoon is for reading X" and I don't have to keep setting it as a task.

I also find it useful for keeping me focused when I'm doing one thing and having ping pong thoughts in my head of all the other stuff I need to do. Like when I do really boring reading, all of a sudden I remember the flights I have to research for an upcoming trip or that person I need to email... but instead of doing that and losing focus I just add it as a task and come back to it later.

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 pm

arose928 wrote:I use Any.do (https://www.any.do/) as basically a souped-up to do list. I have different to do lists (for class, clinic, getting a job, personal life, etc) that I can see either on their own or all rolled up together. So for instance if I just want to see what I have to do for clinic in a week, I can just look at my clinic list, but if I want to see everything I have to do that week, I can see all of that at once. For some reason that was a hard feature to find in a to do list app; most of them just had individual lists and you couldn't see everything at once. Each task has a due date, you can set an alarm for when you want to do it, add notes, add subtasks, set recurring tasks. It probably has push notifications but I don't use those. It has a desktop app and iphone app (and I assume apps for non-apple products but I haven't looked for that). It's super simple to add tasks and the design is clean and intuitive.

I find its useful for helping me get into a rhythm but then eventually I don't need it that much anymore. So like right now at the beginning of the semester I'm using it more to keep me on top of reading for class and stuff but then my schedule will settle down and I'll just internalize that "Sunday afternoon is for reading X" and I don't have to keep setting it as a task.

I also find it useful for keeping me focused when I'm doing one thing and having ping pong thoughts in my head of all the other stuff I need to do. Like when I do really boring reading, all of a sudden I remember the flights I have to research for an upcoming trip or that person I need to email... but instead of doing that and losing focus I just add it as a task and come back to it later.
Thanks so much, this looks great! Exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I like to use pomodoro timers (https://tomato-timer.com/) to keep me focused on a task. It's pretty simple. Just a 25 minute countdown, then 5 minute break. Repeat that for two hours, then a 10 min break. Great for those days when I keep getting distracted. This way, if I'm going to mess with my phone or something, I have to limit it to the five minutes and can't interrupt the 25 minute block to do it.

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:32 am

I use Google Calendar with its app.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:43 am

Sorry not being helpful just piggybacking to add that I'm looking for a to-do list productivity app that integrates well with Google Calendar. Anyone have any suggestions? Or hell, I'd even switch calendaring apps if there is one that is integrated really well with a to-do list/productivity app.

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 am

Sorry not being helpful just piggybacking to add that I'm looking for a to-do list productivity app that integrates well with Google Calendar. Anyone have any suggestions? Or hell, I'd even switch calendaring apps if there is one that is integrated really well with a to-do list/productivity app. Currently using Wunderlist and it's fine but underwhelming. I just don't pay much attention when it's not integrated into my calendar

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”