Advice from people who were/are good at Contracts Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SMWV

New

Advice from people who were/are good at Contracts

Post by SMWV » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:56 pm

I just did my first assignment for Contracts and it seems like Civil Procedure only worse. Civ Pro was definitely my worst class last semester and I'm realizing I don't connect well to material that is rule-based rather than policy/theory oriented. Last semester, I felt that I went through Civil Procedure struggling with rules and not being able to see the big picture until finals time. Any advice on how to take in the material?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Advice from people who were/are good at Contracts

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Without knowing your professor, the advice will be pretty generic. Supplements are your friend when you're learning BLL though.

Contracts is incredibly professor-dependent though, so engage the professor regularly in office hours, etc. to get on the same page with them. And you'd be surprised how policy/theory heavy contracts can be. A lot of it is BLL, but there is also a decent amount of economic theory and Coase Theorem, etc.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Advice from people who were/are good at Contracts

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Even the BLL is more policy based than in Civ Pro, I would say - it’s all about what agreements should be enforceable and why and what’s fair/efficient/the balance between the two. I guess you could say that Civ Pro is policy based for the same reasons, but it’s much more technical and harder (for some of us) to grasp until you start practicing and have to apply any of it.

Which is to say that it does depend on your professor, of course, but I don’t think the two subjects are as similar as you fear.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”