Current Fordham 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Current Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Trying to stay distracted to avoid thinking about my exams and first semester grades. Ask away and I’ll do my best to answer!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Current Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Trying to stay distracted to avoid thinking about my exams and first semester grades. Ask away and I’ll do my best to answer!
How do you feel going to a school that costs at sticker over 300k but only places less than 30% of grads into biglaw jobs?

FN-2187

Bronze

Post by FN-2187 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Where do people find housing/live?
Last edited by FN-2187 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:39 pm

How do you feel going to a school that costs at sticker over 300k but only places less than 30% of grads into biglaw jobs?
Roughly 40% go to big law and over 40% get big Law or a clerkship. Your point remains, I get that. I can’t speak for my classmates paying sticker, but I made the right choice for me.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:40 pm

FN-2187 wrote:Where do people find housing/live?
A lot of my classmates live in fordham housing. Many others live on the upper west side or the upper east side. They use brokers or streeteasy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gonavy!

New

Post by gonavy! » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
A lot of my classmates live in fordham housing. Many others live on the upper west side or the upper east side. They use brokers or streeteasy.

Do you know of anyone that's in fordham grad housing on scholarship? That is, they get their housing paid for?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Roughly 40% go to big law and over 40% get big Law or a clerkship. Your point remains, I get that. I can’t speak for my classmates paying sticker, but I made the right choice for me.
Not to be picky, but the data on LST shows 28% biglaw and less than 5% clerkships for both state and federal. Maybe the LST data is old, but the combined difference of 10% or so is a big deal.

Edit: https://www.lstreports.com/schools/fordham/jobs/

doc b

New

Post by doc b » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:09 am

https://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900 ... g-Law-Job/

Not sure if Vault is more accurate than TLS, but...

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:30 am

doc b wrote:https://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900 ... g-Law-Job/

That list is absolute crap.

Go look at the numbers here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=276222

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 am

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

How hard is the Fordham housing to get? Are there usually available options or do they fill up super quick?

How do you like Fordham so far? How are the people?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:49 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

How hard is the Fordham housing to get? Are there usually available options or do they fill up super quick?

I know males that signed up for Fordham housing well after the deadline and they all got Fordham housing. I know several females that live in fordham housing too. I think if you want it you’ll get it.

I like it a lot! I don’t know if it’s Fordham I like or law school in general but I genuinely enjoyed first semester (exams were brutal but that’s everywhere). I loved the classes. The people are great. I had amazing professors. One of my professors literally wrote the contracts book, my civil procedure professor was a Supreme Court clerk and is just insanely intelligent, and my criminal law professor was a genuinely good person and knows his material very very well.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:53 am

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

I know males that signed up for Fordham housing well after the deadline and they all got Fordham housing. I know several females that live in fordham housing too. I think if you want it you’ll get it.

I like it a lot! I don’t know if it’s Fordham I like or law school in general but I genuinely enjoyed first semester (exams were brutal but that’s everywhere). I loved the classes. The people are great. I had amazing professors. One of my professors literally wrote the contracts book, my civil procedure professor was a Supreme Court clerk and is just insanely intelligent, and my criminal law professor was a genuinely good person and knows his material very very well.
Thank you for your answers!

I really like Fordham and it's BL placement seems really great. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it :)

Do you plan on doing BL or something else?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:58 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

Thank you for your answers!

I really like Fordham and it's BL placement seems really great. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it :)

Do you plan on doing BL or something else?
I want to do litigation. I really don’t want to do transactional work. I want to go to a firm, preferably Big Law, but that’s obviously contingent on grades. Litigation for big law is smaller and not as popular (at least at Fordham) so I’ll need to figure that out for OCI, but Fordham has a great career office and my professors have all been very helpful too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 pm

gonavy! wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

Do you know of anyone that's in fordham grad housing on scholarship? That is, they get their housing paid for?
Not that I know of. I’ll ask around but I’m almost positive that they don’t cover housing for anyone.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Roughly 40% go to big law and over 40% get big Law or a clerkship. Your point remains, I get that. I can’t speak for my classmates paying sticker, but I made the right choice for me.
So how are they with aid?? I hear they're super stingy - did you have a successful negotiation? Also, are any of your classmates from New York and did any of them choose to stay at home while going to school?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Roughly 40% go to big law and over 40% get big Law or a clerkship. Your point remains, I get that. I can’t speak for my classmates paying sticker, but I made the right choice for me.
So how are they with aid?? I hear they're super stingy - did you have a successful negotiation? Also, are any of your classmates from New York and did any of them choose to stay at home while going to school?
I successfully negotiated with Fordham, as did several of my classmates. I was happy with the aid I was offered.

Yes, several of my classmates are from NY and chose to live at home while attending Fordham.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:07 am

doc b wrote:https://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900 ... g-Law-Job/

Lol @ all those idiots who chose to go to Yale, Stanford, Duke, U Chicago, or Berkeley over Fordham.

Although the people ragging on OP for going to Fordham are going overboard. ~40% biglaw + fedclerk is not bad if you're not paying sticker. Those are T20 employment stats, and if you can live at home to minimize costs, Fordham isn't a bad choice at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Although the people ragging on OP for going to Fordham are going overboard. ~40% biglaw + fedclerk is not bad if you're not paying sticker. Those are T20 employment stats, and if you can live at home to minimize costs, Fordham isn't a bad choice at all.
I’ll graduate Fordham debt free- so it was an easy decision for me. I completely understand the wariness about the school and stats for those paying sticker or close to it.

That said, I was incredibly happy with my first semester experience. The professors are top notch (my Civ pro professor was a Supreme Court clerk and is a very very intelligent man and my Contracts professor literally wrote the casebook and is just insanely knowledgeable about her subject), career services was actually much more helpful then I expected them to be, and all of my classmates are very bright and the classroom discussions were great. Thus far I don’t have many complaints at all.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:47 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Although the people ragging on OP for going to Fordham are going overboard.

Bird_Lawyerings

New

Post by Bird_Lawyerings » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Current 2L here also willing to answer questions.

Edit:
W/r/t discussion about bliglaw placement -- I'm not sure what the percentage will be this year, but I finished 1L just outside top 33% and I had 3 job offers from OCI. I also have a lot of friends who are ranked similarly and even lower (some even below median) who landed biglaw SA offers this year. Obviously my anecdotal evidence shouldn't outweigh the statistics, but there seems to be a misconception that if you don't finish in the top x%, you're toast. Just because Fordham places 40% in biglaw, DOES NOT mean that it's necessarily the top 40%. There are many people who finish at the top who decide to transfer, or just don't want to do biglaw. I also know someone who finished in the top 25% and didn't land anything from OCI, so it cuts both ways.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Bird_Lawyerings wrote:Current 2L here also willing to answer questions
Do you know when grades generally start rolling out? I vaguely remember seeing something about professors needing to have them in by January 12th but I can’t seem to find wherever it is I saw or heard that. Also have a professor next semester that emailed yesterday and he said grades are coming in “the next week or so”. Just trying to figure out when I should start checking for them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Fordham 3L here. Grades have been rolling in since Dec. 20. Deadline is the 12th, but professors have gone over.

Most of us check our grades once or twice a day on my.fordham.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:21 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:Fordham 3L here. Grades have been rolling in since Dec. 20. Deadline is the 12th, but professors have gone over.

Most of us check our grades once or twice a day on my.fordham.
Thanks. My last final was the 20th and my second was the 18th so I wasn’t expecting them before the University reopens on the 2nd. Can grades be posted when the university is closed? Here’s hoping the grade for the class whose final was the 13th is posted this coming week!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 am

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 am

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Trying to stay distracted to avoid thinking about my exams and first semester grades. Ask away and I’ll do my best to answer!
Hey! I had another question. As an AA URM w/ a ~3.9 gpa what LSAT score would get me admitted? What LSAT score would I likely need to get some $$?

Not a whole lot on mylsn and wondering if you had any idea?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”