how much time on campus?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Carly Jo

how much time on campus?

Postby Carly Jo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, how much time do 1L's spend on campus, specifically outside of class? How much work can be done from home? I'm an older student with a family. I'm prepared for the workload but we are trying to plan how much help at home with kids and house we will need. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

njdevils2626

Re: how much time on campus?

Postby njdevils2626 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Carly Jo wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, how much time do 1L's spend on campus, specifically outside of class? How much work can be done from home? I'm an older student with a family. I'm prepared for the workload but we are trying to plan how much help at home with kids and house we will need. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

All of the work can be done from home if you want, it's pretty much entirely up to you

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Carly Jo wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, how much time do 1L's spend on campus, specifically outside of class? How much work can be done from home? I'm an older student with a family. I'm prepared for the workload but we are trying to plan how much help at home with kids and house we will need. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Other than class, you never really "need" to be on campus. However, law school reading is tough enough on its own. I also have a family and I found it nearly impossible to work from home except before/after everyone else was in bed.

totesTheGoat

Postby totesTheGoat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Carly Jo wrote: how much time do 1L's spend on campus, specifically outside of class? How much work can be done from home?

You might have some prof who decides to be annoying and forces you to do some project in the library, but usually such projects are only for a week or so, and only require one or two stints in the library. The rest of the work can usually be done off-campus. 95% of the day-to-day 1L work is reading out of your textbook.

However, from experience, it is a good idea to spend more time than the bare minimum on campus. There's nothing wrong with setting boundaries so that you can go home and see your family, but you need to be available to do required and recommended things on campus (extracurriculars, office hours, etc.)

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Depending on your kids and your family's needs and your law school's resources, you could potentially bring them to campus sometimes. My law school had a student parent resource room that only student parents could access. And none of us minded when a fellow student brought their kid for lack of childcare or school to a study group meeting or other student organization meeting.

It's tricky though in terms of your own study needs. I can't focus with lots of people talking and other media going on in the background. Just having my boyfriend at home with the TV on was hugely distracting for me, so I tried to keep everything at school. Also, any time I took multiple casebooks home and back for a few days in a row my back would get very strained. They're not light loads. If that's your plan, get a wheelie backpack so you don't throw out your back. (One of my classmates did right before finals.)

In other words, like other posters said, you can do it all at home, for sure, but whether you should or how you can do it is dependent on your preferences and how you're going to balance everything else. And you'll probably be figuring this out as you go through it, because you'll try something and it may not work.

If you have the space, maybe create a little home office where the kids aren't allowed to interrupt while you study (assuming they would abide such a rule)?

Sorry we don't have an easy answer on this one. :( There is a lot of balancing to do! Try to find another student parent a year or two ahead of you when you start to get good advice from.

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:35 pm

get some noise cancelling headphones and you can easily do everything at home. you'll get sick of campus real quick.

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:27 am

proteinshake wrote:get some noise cancelling headphones and you can easily do everything at home. you'll get sick of campus real quick.

Noise cancelling headphones were the best purchase I ever made. Makes focusing so much easier, on campus or off.

pricon

Postby pricon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 pm

As I understand it, noise cancellation technology works great for noise like background construction, but works poorly for noise like a loud nearby talker.

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:53 pm

pricon wrote:As I understand it, noise cancellation technology works great for noise like background construction, but works poorly to block out noise like a loud nearby talker.

If someone is shouting, you'll hear it. If someone is talking at a moderate level and you're very focused, probably not. I've had many times when I'm zoned out studying, doing work, or just fixated on something on my computer (read: TLS threads devolving into flamewars) with my noise-cancelling headphones on, and someone will say hi to me and I will not even register their presence until they shout at me.

Attention/listening is very much about where your focus is being drawn, not just about noise. The noise-canceling headphones help me redirect my focus to whatever is in front of me.

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:58 pm

pricon wrote:As I understand it, noise cancellation technology works great for noise like background construction, but works poorly for noise like a loud nearby talker.

this is true, but I suspect OP would be studying in a room by themself? If that's the case then they won't hear family members with good quality headphones if they're in a different room, especially if they have some ambient music playing as well.

Carly Jo

Postby Carly Jo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks everyone! I have some noise cancelling headphones but we do have a home office that is in a different part of the house, so it would be pretty quiet. Thank you everyone for your advice and for responding. For some reason I thought that I would have a bunch of homework that could only be completed in the library forcing me to stay on campus most of the time. I am super excited to atleast study at home in pajamas :-)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”