Who gives out discretionary grades at CLS?? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CLS1990

New

Who gives out discretionary grades at CLS??

Post by CLS1990 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Hey all,

The question is the same as the title. Does anyone know who exactly gives out discretionary grades to 1ls at CLS? I just took my first exam and i'm freaking out a bit. (I know it's normal but I would feel a lot better if I knew for sure if I am in trouble.) I know that Kraus and Lynch give out discretionary grades (B- and Below at CLS) but does anyone else know which other 1L profs do? I'm looking to calm my nerves.

Thanks!

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Who gives out discretionary grades at CLS??

Post by dabigchina » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Scott also does (but he's not teaching this semester). I also heard Harcourt also gave discretionary C+'s, but I don't think he teaches crim anymore.

Not aware of anyone else who does. Make a good faith effort and it won't happen to you.

CLS1990

New

Post by CLS1990 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:02 pm

dabigchina wrote:Scott also does (but he's not teaching this semester). I also heard Harcourt also gave discretionary C+'s, but I don't think he teaches crim anymore.

Not aware of anyone else who does. Make a good faith effort and it won't happen to you.

Thanks for your response! Do you know if Merrill does?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:05 pm

CLS1990 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Scott also does (but he's not teaching this semester). I also heard Harcourt also gave discretionary C+'s, but I don't think he teaches crim anymore.

Thanks for your response! Do you know if Merrill does?
Hmm not that I'm aware of, but I can't say for sure.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:26 am

They almost all do to some extent, even Johnson although she said she doesn’t. but this is not something to worry about. You very very likely did not do that poorly and if you’re neurotic enough to post on here about it you’re going to be fine
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CLS1990

New

Post by CLS1990 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:47 am

Kummel wrote:They almost all do to some extent, even Johnson although she said she doesn’t. but this is not something to worry about. You very very likely did not do that poorly and if you’re neurotic enough to post on here about it you’re going to be fine
I basically only got to write about half of an issue spotter that was worth 1/3 of the exam (and that half was extremely rushed. I was running out of time.) What does it really take to get a discretionary grade generally?

jflaw

New

Post by jflaw » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:08 am

Rumor is Merrill doesn’t even read the essay so take that for what it is. While I doubt that is true, I can tell you from my experience that writing a poor essay won’t stop you from doing well if you did good on the other sections. Calm down and move in to the next one.

CLS1990

New

Post by CLS1990 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 am

jflaw wrote:Rumor is Merrill doesn’t even read the essay so take that for what it is. While I doubt that is true, I can tell you from my experience that writing a poor essay won’t stop you from doing well if you did good on the other sections. Calm down and move in to the next one.
Thank you so much. I'm so grateful for all of you guy's help and i'm definitely going to take your advice and just focus 100% on my next exam.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:35 am

CLS1990 wrote:
jflaw wrote:Rumor is Merrill doesn’t even read the essay so take that for what it is. While I doubt that is true, I can tell you from my experience that writing a poor essay won’t stop you from doing well if you did good on the other sections. Calm down and move in to the next one.
Thank you so much. I'm so grateful for all of you guy's help and i'm definitely going to take your advice and just focus 100% on my next exam.
You'll be fine, everybody felt like they got crushed by Merrill's final.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 pm

hi classmates :D
let's all chill down

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”