Law Firm Internship - High School? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ekatya2001

New

Law Firm Internship - High School?

Post by ekatya2001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi, I'm not really sure where to post this question, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread.
Anyways, I'm a senior in high school (so I'm 16) and I'm really interested in going to law school (not dead set, but also pretty sure I want to pursue something in the legal sector). I've been court watching a few times, and I'm not so interested in Criminal law, and I want to see what corporate or business law may be about. Would it be a wise decision to contact some local law firms in the sector and ask if I could volunteer my time there during the winter break or for a week or so, just to look at how it would be like? If this isn't a good thing (maybe because of inexperience or age) would any of you have suggestions on where I could get a glimpse into the quotidian activities of an average corporate/civil litigation lawyer?

Thank you very much in advance :)

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Law Firm Internship - High School?

Post by UVA2B » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Before you commit time to interning, you should start with some informational interviews. Do you (or your parents) have any personal connections with attorneys who could tell you about what they do and what their practice is like?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 pm

ekatya2001 wrote:Hi, I'm not really sure where to post this question, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread.
Anyways, I'm a senior in high school (so I'm 16) and I'm really interested in going to law school (not dead set, but also pretty sure I want to pursue something in the legal sector). I've been court watching a few times, and I'm not so interested in Criminal law, and I want to see what corporate or business law may be about. Would it be a wise decision to contact some local law firms in the sector and ask if I could volunteer my time there during the winter break or for a week or so, just to look at how it would be like? If this isn't a good thing (maybe because of inexperience or age) would any of you have suggestions on where I could get a glimpse into the quotidian activities of an average corporate/civil litigation lawyer?

There is more to the law than just Criminal v. Corporate. To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with asking people to shadow them. But it may be impractical. First, corp law is mostly concentrated in big law. Whatever work small law typically gets, it's more start-up tech/small fry type of deals. Those deals, intrinsically, have different work schedules/habits than big law. Also, a lawfirm run by one person will feel much different than a global biglaw firm.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can't make a judgement about one sector of the law based on "court watching" or "shadowing" someone.

What makes you think you're interested in the law? Is it the power that comes with wielding the law? Is it that you want to "make a lot of money"? Once you answer those Qs, it will be easier to help you navigate this path.

Also, what didn't you like about crim law? That you had to deal with criminals? There's more to trial work than just crim. Civil law encompasses hundreds of niche practices. And FWIW, corp law is very boring/routine/crazy work schedule.

ekatya2001

New

Post by ekatya2001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:30 pm

UVA2B wrote:Before you commit time to interning, you should start with some informational interviews. Do you (or your parents) have any personal connections with attorneys who could tell you about what they do and what their practice is like?
Unfortunately no, I will be the first person in my family to pursue anything other than engineering or medicine. :(

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:35 pm

ekatya2001 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Before you commit time to interning, you should start with some informational interviews. Do you (or your parents) have any personal connections with attorneys who could tell you about what they do and what their practice is like?
Unfortunately no, I will be the first person in my family to pursue anything other than engineering or medicine. :(
That doesn't necessarily mean they don't know any attorneys, but ok.

I wanted to wait before I gave this advice: slow down. You're a high school senior. You should be figuring out where you want to go to college, how you can most enjoy your senior year, and start mentally preparing yourself for the great college adventure. You can worry about learning more about the legal profession down the road when it's a realistic option. What you want to do now can't (and shouldn't) inform what you want to do when you become a working adult. Your interests may (likely will) change. You may find a passion you never expected. Or you may try some things, learn about other professions, learn about the legal profession, and decide the legal profession is for you. But you're not ready to make those kinds of decisions yet.

Slow down, enjoy your high school years, enjoy your college years, spend a couple years in the real world figuring out life as an adult out on your own, and then you can concern yourself with whether a legal career is the best move for you. You have 5-10 years before you should really be making this decision, and in the meantime just collect information any prospective fields that interest you along the way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ekatya2001

New

Post by ekatya2001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:38 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
ekatya2001 wrote:Hi, I'm not really sure where to post this question, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread.

There is more to the law than just Criminal v. Corporate. To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with asking people to shadow them. But it may be impractical. First, corp law is mostly concentrated in big law. Whatever work small law typically gets, it's more start-up tech/small fry type of deals. Those deals, intrinsically, have different work schedules/habits than big law. Also, a lawfirm run by one person will feel much different than a global biglaw firm.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can't make a judgement about one sector of the law based on "court watching" or "shadowing" someone.

What makes you think you're interested in the law? Is it the power that comes with wielding the law? Is it that you want to "make a lot of money"? Once you answer those Qs, it will be easier to help you navigate this path.

Also, what didn't you like about crim law? That you had to deal with criminals? There's more to trial work than just crim. Civil law encompasses hundreds of niche practices. And FWIW, corp law is very boring/routine/crazy work schedule.
Hi :) thanks for replying!
I didn't really like criminal law just because I found it quite boring (I know, shocker), I'm not completely closed off to it, but I don't think it's something I'd work towards in the near future.
Thanks for telling me that! I'm situated in a location that doesn't have any biglaw unfortunately.

I'm interested in law mainly because I really enjoy nitpicking documents and finding loopholes, as well, I really enjoy debate-heavy extra-curriculars such as debate, model united nations and stuff like that. I will also be going to university for Communications/Political Sciences or Public Affairs and Policy Management. Obviously I understand that these interests aren't only related to being a lawyer, so I'm quite open to anything (including diplomacy). As for the money, I don't really care, as long as I have a roof over my head and a full belly.

I know it sounds crazy, but I actually love boring and routine things.

Thanks again!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 pm

so, code. you can get into LS with a CS degree.

ekatya2001

New

Post by ekatya2001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 pm

UVA2B wrote:
ekatya2001 wrote:
That doesn't necessarily mean they don't know any attorneys, but ok.

I wanted to wait before I gave this advice: slow down. You're a high school senior. You should be figuring out where you want to go to college, how you can most enjoy your senior year, and start mentally preparing yourself for the great college adventure. You can worry about learning more about the legal profession down the road when it's a realistic option. What you want to do now can't (and shouldn't) inform what you want to do when you become a working adult. Your interests may (likely will) change. You may find a passion you never expected. Or you may try some things, learn about other professions, learn about the legal profession, and decide the legal profession is for you. But you're not ready to make those kinds of decisions yet.

Slow down, enjoy your high school years, enjoy your college years, spend a couple years in the real world figuring out life as an adult out on your own, and then you can concern yourself with whether a legal career is the best move for you. You have 5-10 years before you should really be making this decision, and in the meantime just collect information any prospective fields that interest you along the way.
Hahaha thanks for replying :) I understand that (you won't believe how many people tell me that) but I've got so much free time on my hands right now due to taking advanced courses in my junior year, so while my friends are still in class I'm just sitting and waiting for them.
I just want to start planning ahead so I won't feel like I'm wasting time lol.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:44 pm

pancakes3 wrote:so, code. you can get into LS with a CS degree.
+1000000%

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ekatya2001

New

Post by ekatya2001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:45 pm

UVA2B wrote:That doesn't necessarily mean they don't know any attorneys, but ok.
OH, I actually do know an attorney (does tax attorneys count?)
thanks a lot :D

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:16 pm

JFC what is wrong with 16 year olds today

Go smoke some weed or something OP, or try to get laid

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”