Does it matter where you work before law school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jperumal

New

Does it matter where you work before law school

Post by jperumal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 pm

I currently work in federal consulting for a great defense contractor (been in this role for around 2.5 years). I earn a great salary but the job is simply not challenging, which is fine and is why I am applying to law school next year. I am planning on taking the june lsat, but have been offered another really awesome job for the federal government which would start in February of 2018. My question is: would it look better applying as a analyst from the government versus as a contractor? Does that matter? The federal job is also paying way less which may not necessarily matter because I plan to go to law school anyways. I really need to decide and could use any advice!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Does it matter where you work before law school

Post by UVA2B » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 pm

First piece of advice: don't make three threads on the same subject.

Next, the nature of your work experience almost never makes a difference in admissions for law school unless it's truly exceptional. It'll be a positive that you have work experience though. So if the federal analyst position sounds interesting to you, go for it and have a blast. Law school isn't going anywhere. You can apply when you feel ready to make the jump to law school

notDINGBAT

New

Post by notDINGBAT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:39 pm

a job that instantly conveys qualification can give you a very small boost in the job hunt too.

But it needs to be something recognizable - ibank, political staffer, etc. And it won't make up for lack of grades. Both applying for law school and applying for biglaw starts with the straightforward numbers - everything else is a tie-breaker

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:26 am

jperumal wrote: My question is: would it look better applying as a analyst from the government versus as a contractor? Does that matter?
I doubt it matters for admissions. For job prospects? It doesn't matter unless you're getting into an area of law where being an "analyst" would be a benefit to your employer. I have no idea what kind of law that would be, if such an area exists. Really, the only time your pre-law job matters is 1) when you go into a related area of law; and 2)showing that you've had a "real" job can sometimes put you above other candidates that have stints at Starbucks and Target on their resume, but it's really hit or miss.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”