Dropping Secondary Journal After OCI - *did not have it in resume at the time Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hikikomorist

Platinum

Re: Dropping Secondary Journal After OCI - *did not have it in resume at the time

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Lol at exploiting someone who signed up of their own free will.
Nony is the Devos LRs need.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Dropping Secondary Journal After OCI - *did not have it in resume at the time

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Lol at exploiting someone who signed up of their own free will.
Nony is the Devos LRs need.
Lol fucking lol. You are all a sorry lot if you consider checking some damn footnotes oppression and exploitation.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:34 pm

I would quit, especially if you did not derive any benefit from it. Most people would tell you to stay the year, but if you are really not happy, just quit. Unfortunately, I have quit jobs in my life, and was a professional before law school and saw people quit in the middle of the year. Yes, there will be some stigma, but I guarantee you no one outside your journal will give a shit.

A lot of soon-to-be lawyers are risk-averse, and they overthink things. They think, "How is this going to look? Will I be able to look at these people in the face again? Will I be able to show my face at the law school?" Trust me. I've been there (I didn't quit a journal, but I did say some off-color things throughout my 3 years). People will forget and move on. Just quit. This is just my two cents.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:42 pm

jacketyellow wrote:I would quit, especially if you did not derive any benefit from it. Most people would tell you to stay the year, but if you are really not happy, just quit. Unfortunately, I have quit jobs in my life, and was a professional before law school and saw people quit in the middle of the year. Yes, there will be some stigma, but I guarantee you no one outside your journal will give a shit.
I've posted this many times over the years, but quitting a journal mid-year is really dumb. No, the law firm you summered at won't care, but quitting means alienating a group of people who otherwise could help you out down the road when you want to lateral to another law firm or apply to a clerkship or move in-house or whatever.

I'm several years out of law school, and most of the job opportunities I hear about come from my former law-school classmates, many of whom I met while on LR.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying anyone outside your journal will care (or even know); I also don't think it's particularly going to cost you professionally, aside from alienating your journal members (though I agree with rpupkin that this in itself is dumb, especially since your T14 classmates will likely mostly have good jobs and be useful to know). It's just kind of a jerky thing to do. But lots of people do lots of jerky things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying anyone outside your journal will care (or even know); I also don't think it's particularly going to cost you professionally, aside from alienating your journal members (though I agree with rpupkin that this in itself is dumb, especially since your T14 classmates will likely mostly have good jobs and be useful to know). It's just kind of a jerky thing to do. But lots of people do lots of jerky things.
That's the thing. He or she won't really suffer that much professionally, if at all. People make mistakes or do intentionally jerky things all the time in law school (I certainly did). And I am still working at a good firm with many friends who can speak well of me, even if they were pissed at me in the moment. There is usually only a very small downside to quitting a journal, and it'll pass in the years to come.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:10 pm

I'll make my earlier point again- depending where OP is at school, he/she might not be able to quit during the year. You can't at my t13 for example.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:15 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:I'll make my earlier point again- depending where OP is at school, he/she might not be able to quit during the year. You can't at my t13 for example.
I don't understand. How is this rule enforced? Does your law school expel students who quit a journal?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18 pm

rpupkin wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:I'll make my earlier point again- depending where OP is at school, he/she might not be able to quit during the year. You can't at my t13 for example.
I don't understand. How is this rule enforced? Does your law school expel students who quit a journal?
I'm not 100% sure, but I know the administration gets involved when someone wants to quit during the school year. I know at least a handful of people who have tried and were told no and then continued with their work.

I know at other t13s that there is a credit hour connection to journal work as well, so once drop-add is over, you can't drop the journal either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18 pm

I quit journal but I at least waited until after my SA

It felt grand
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Yeah, you got credit for journal at my (not T14), too, so that was probably part of the not-dropping
jacketyellow wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying anyone outside your journal will care (or even know); I also don't think it's particularly going to cost you professionally, aside from alienating your journal members (though I agree with rpupkin that this in itself is dumb, especially since your T14 classmates will likely mostly have good jobs and be useful to know). It's just kind of a jerky thing to do. But lots of people do lots of jerky things.
That's the thing. He or she won't really suffer that much professionally, if at all. People make mistakes or do intentionally jerky things all the time in law school (I certainly did). And I am still working at a good firm with many friends who can speak well of me, even if they were pissed at me in the moment. There is usually only a very small downside to quitting a journal, and it'll pass in the years to come.
Sure. I'm not saying not to quit because quitting will cost him somehow. To the extent I'm saying don't quit (again, his decision), it's because it's good not to do jerky things.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Just do what everyone else does and do a half assed job on everything. Journals are easy if you don't care about cite checking correctly.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:49 pm

my valuable contribution to these fora is as follows: fuck journal

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”