Master for IP law? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zybhlyz

New

Master for IP law?

Post by zybhlyz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Hello,

I am a biology undergraduate. I actually planned to take 1 or 2 years off and then go to law school. I have interest on IP law but I am not sure about it. I recently spoke with a professor who was a patent agent before (I think?) He told me that it's better to get into the area around Bay area or DC and it's better if you have a master or PhD.

I am not good at biology actually, I am not sure how much interest I will have on Graduate school. And I am not sure the 2 year program will worth it if I am not going to IP.

I want to ask anyone have an expereince in IP law, is a master/PhD kinda a rerquirement for IP, and if it is what area for biology would you suggest?

Also, would overseas institution count? I know some 1 year program in Europe.

Thank you for you time.

Piggy11

New

Re: Master for IP law?

Post by Piggy11 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:44 pm

IMHO, it would be virtually impossible to land a patent prosecution job with just a bachelor's in biology. It might be marginally possible with just a master's degree, and it would become a viable option if you had several years of solid research experience in a relevant industry (like biotech) after your masters. A PhD in a "hot" field from a top 5 program might get you to the point where you are desirable enough that some firms would hire you as an agent and pay for your part-time law school education. Your scientific credentials trump your law school credentials in this very specific field of law.
That being said, I would NOT recommend anyone going out and getting a PhD (or even a masters) solely for the purpose of being marketable for IP positions. Especially someone who admits to not being very good/very interested in the scientific field they would be getting their advanced degree in.

If by "IP law" you mean litigation or trademark work, those are much more doable with a bachelor's degree in biology. The hiring rules for IP lit are a lot more similar to other law fields, and your law school and grades would matter more than your scientific background.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”