Taking the Patent Bar Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dallinpackard

New

Taking the Patent Bar

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:30 pm

I am finishing my EE undergrad mid-August and then will go straight to law school (with the possibility of a few weeks of break, depending on where I end up going). My question is: is it worth it to take the patent bar as a 1L? I can more than likely be done studying for it before I even enter law school, but my transcript/diploma wouldn't come in until a month or so after I enter law school.

pricon

Bronze

Re: Taking the Patent Bar

Post by pricon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:58 pm

By "as a 1L" you are talking during the time between August and May of your first year?

wolfromkev

New

Post by wolfromkev » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Take it as early as possible. I've heard that employers like it when you've been a member of the bar association for a longer period of time.

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

pricon wrote:By "as a 1L" you are talking during the time between August and May of your first year?
yes. Closer to August than to May.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:59 pm

I'd sign up now with an eye to take it end of your first semester, or something (give yourself a week to refresh; you have to pick a date 3 months out after you're approved to take it). Employers do like early reg numbers, though I don't know that it would actually substantially affect your application one way or another unless (1) you end up actually using your reg no. in a clinic or something during law school (which would be seen as a cool add to your experience) or (2) you don't take any classes that show that you have an interest in patent law, in which case getting a reg no. early can show your consistent commitment to the field. The latter of which is probably particularly helpful for a 1L SA.

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:09 pm

OP hasn't even said if he's interested in patent pros, patent lit, general lit, or basketweaving law... why is everyone full steam on the take-the-patent-bar train?

If you're interested in patent pros, definitely take the patent bar, although think of it more as a small plus to your resume in 'tie-break' situations for two otherwise similarly qualified applicants. A reg # won't fix bad 1L grades or bad interviewing.

For patent lit, I wouldn't spend any time as a 1L studying for the patent bar. That time is better spent on 1L grades and networking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”