Possibility of Improving LSAT Score Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
samanthaashley

New

Possibility of Improving LSAT Score

Post by samanthaashley » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello! I just started studying for the LSAT (about 15 hours worth of work) and scored a 155 on a practice test. I lost a whopping 18 points on the two logical reasoning sections combined. Clearly, that is what I really need to work on, along with speed on the logic games. I have 8 months to improve my score. I am able to study about 20 hours a week for 28 weeks... and I'm counting on 60 hours a week for the last 2 months. (That will complete the 7Sage course I'm going to buy.) I am extremely motivated to succeed, and it is unlikely that I will lose that motivation. How realistic is it to get up to a 170?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Re: Possibility of Improving LSAT Score

Post by White Dwarf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:02 am

samanthaashley wrote:I am extremely motivated to succeed, and it is unlikely that I will lose that motivation.
I spent a year and a half as an LSAT tutor. Everyone is motivated at the start, but very few can keep it up for more than a couple weeks. The people going above and beyond in Week 1 were the same people who were randomly bubbling in half their assignment 5 minutes before our meeting in Week 6. You really don't need to study anywhere near as much as you have planned out. It's only going to contribute to burn-out.

You can easily get to 170+ from where you are with 10 hours/week for 3 months if you stay disciplined.

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:10 pm

samanthaashley wrote:Hello! I just started studying for the LSAT (about 15 hours worth of work) and scored a 155 on a practice test. I lost a whopping 18 points on the two logical reasoning sections combined. Clearly, that is what I really need to work on, along with speed on the logic games. I have 8 months to improve my score. I am able to study about 20 hours a week for 28 weeks... and I'm counting on 60 hours a week for the last 2 months. (That will complete the 7Sage course I'm going to buy.) I am extremely motivated to succeed, and it is unlikely that I will lose that motivation. How realistic is it to get up to a 170?
Thats...a bit excessive. 60 hours/week of LSAT when you have all this time is probably unnecessary if you're able to stick to a consistent schedule. I also used 7sage and found it quite helpful, but only went with the starter package, and then bought a couple of the additional practice tests (for a total of roughly 3 months)

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:38 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
samanthaashley wrote:I am extremely motivated to succeed, and it is unlikely that I will lose that motivation.
I spent a year and a half as an LSAT tutor. Everyone is motivated at the start, but very few can keep it up for more than a couple weeks. The people going above and beyond in Week 1 were the same people who were randomly bubbling in half their assignment 5 minutes before our meeting in Week 6. You really don't need to study anywhere near as much as you have planned out. It's only going to contribute to burn-out.

You can easily get to 170+ from where you are with 10 hours/week for 3 months if you stay disciplined.
+1 (I am also a former tutor/teacher, for one of the major companies).

155 is a great starting point. If you work consistently you should be able to get 170+. But you don't need to put near as much time in as you're planning. Just be thorough and stay on track.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:03 pm

I am going to say WD is not a very good tutor, so take that to show you titles are not everything.

You are very likely over-expecting what you are willing to contribute to this test, throwing around 60-hour weeks so casually. I would even go so far as to say that you'd learn more during those weeks with half that time than with 60 hours each. Anyway, you can get over a 170 from a 155, but it is going to take more than motivation. You will need learning skills, discipline, and adaptability. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Love how you say I'm probably not a good tutor, then give basically the exact same advice I gave.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:11 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Love how you say I'm probably not a good tutor, then go on to give the exact same advice I gave.
Did I say tutor? I meant reader.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Okay.

Another good lesson for OP: some law students are aspy jerkwads.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:39 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Okay.

Another good lesson for OP: some law students are aspy jerkwads.
Well, pricon isn't actually a law student yet, but same general principle apparently applies...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 pm

pricon wrote:I am going to say WD is not a very good tutor, so take that to show you titles are not everything.
wtf?

LawSchoolAlum

New

Post by LawSchoolAlum » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm

It's good that you're setting aside a good bit of time to prep. Looking back, not doing that was my biggest mistake.

Gus Fring

New

Post by Gus Fring » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:27 am

I improved my score by 12 points in 3 months while working 60 hours a week at my miserable job. It is possible with dedication and desire. I took nearly every practice test and went over every answer i got wrong and wrote down why it was wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”