Academic Dismissal v T10 Chances??? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
1213AEM

New

Academic Dismissal v T10 Chances???

Post by 1213AEM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Hey! I've just recently made a similar post on the LSA forum, but then thought that this forum might be a better category to get insight or advice from those that might have gone through something similar.
So...
During the second year of UG, I transferred from university A to university B. After the first semester at uni. B, I was academically dropped (apparently I was placed on probation, but I wasn't notified). I then took some time off to clear my head. Took additional CC classes and was readmitted. My overall GPA is currently 3.4, hoping to raise it to 3.6 or 3.7 next year (with the help of CC cushion classes). To make up for my academics, I studied constantly for the LSAT and finally received a 180. Would a 180 and overall 3.6 GPA be sufficient for T10? I really want to go to University of Chicago or Columbia, what are the chances? Do you guys think that the punitive drop really messed up my chances at any of the T10? :oops:

Thank you in advance!

cavalier1138

Re: Academic Dismissal v T10 Chances???

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:00 pm

I believe that Chicago is a little more grade-conscious than Columbia, but I think you have a solid shot from CCN on down (Harvard's a bit of a crapshoot with a 3.6, but with a 180, you may have more luck there).
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 pm

I can't say for sure, but I would wonder how long it's been since it happened, and whether you cleaned up your act in a way that is convincingly permanent. Can you articulate why it happened, what you did to fix it, and why it won't happen again? (Don't tell me, but be prepared to tell the adcomms).

Ultimately, it already happened, so all you can do is do your best and hope for the best. If you don't get the cycle you want, you might take a couple of years and do a responsible-type job and try again.

1213AEM

New

Post by 1213AEM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm

landshoes wrote:I can't say for sure, but I would wonder how long it's been since it happened, and whether you cleaned up your act in a way that is convincingly permanent. Can you articulate why it happened, what you did to fix it, and why it won't happen again? (Don't tell me, but be prepared to tell the adcomms).

Ultimately, it already happened, so all you can do is do your best and hope for the best. If you don't get the cycle you want, you might take a couple of years and do a responsible-type job and try again.
I was dropped 3 years ago, then I took a year long break. It took me two years of to increase my gpa. There hasn't been a dip in my GPA or performance track since. Do you think the long break had an adverse effect on my chances?

Thanks for the reply!

1213AEM

New

Post by 1213AEM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:45 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I believe that Chicago is a little more grade-conscious than Columbia, but I think you have a solid shot from CCN on down (Harvard's a bit of a crapshoot with a 3.6, but with a 180, you may have more luck there).
Yeah, I was worried about Chicago too. I guess I'll place my hope on CCN. Hopefully, they can be more forgiving with my academic track, and take into account the lsat more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”