Ugghhh applied physics vs EE for patent lawyer Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jouiqsic

New

Ugghhh applied physics vs EE for patent lawyer

Post by Jouiqsic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 am

I am currently majoring in EE, but this field is not my cup of tea! I chose EE just because it is high demand in patent law field, but the more I take classes, the more I found out that I have no interest in it. I am thinking of switching my major to Applied physics+EE/law. Will it be hard to get hired with applied physics major than EE?

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Ugghhh applied physics vs EE for patent lawyer

Post by Nebby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:40 am

So long as you to a good law school, no.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:41 pm

There won't be a huge difference for them, although EE is a generally more desirable background for patent work. But as mentioned, if you go to a good school, you're eligible for the patent bar, which is all that is necessary for getting into patent work.

ETA: don't pick a major for its desirability for patent work though. Pick a major based on what interests you most in a field you'd want to work in outside of law. Get the degree, work for some time in that field, then decide if you still want to go to law school.

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Being more practical, chances are that you're more likely to get better grades in a topic you like than one that you don't.

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:19 pm

There won't be a huge difference for them, although EE is a generally more desirable background for patent work. But as mentioned, if you go to a good school, you're eligible for the patent bar, which is all that is necessary for getting into patent work.

ETA: don't pick a major for its desirability for patent work though. Pick a major based on what interests you most in a field you'd want to work in outside of law. Get the degree, work for some time in that field, then decide if you still want to go to law school.
I don't know anything about patent law, but I browse job postings frequently and I tend to see the IP job postings with EE degrees listed. It's often the one I see most (though I really only check in a few cities, but they're 3 very different cities industry wise). Haven't seen any yet asking for physics degrees. Always wondered if these firms immediate toss resumes with computer engineering or computer science listed away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 pm

You didn't specify what area of patent law you want to go into. If you want to do anything other than pros, your physics degree will be fine; focus instead on your law school prestige/grades. If you want to do pros, that's when the physics degree will potentially pose a problem, unless you're careful about what you do with that degree. I know people who have gotten hired with physics degrees, but you have to make sure you do research or work in a field that files patents (i.e., astrophysics isn't going to cut it); but yes, it will be harder to sell a physics degree than an EE one.

I second that it's a bad idea to pick a major you hate to get a job in pros, though; keep in mind that whatever degree you get, you'll probably be dealing with cases in that field day in and day out, for the next X years of your career. Don't set yourself up for misery by forcing yourself into a field you already know you hate.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 pm

elendinel wrote:You didn't specify what area of patent law you want to go into. If you want to do anything other than pros, your physics degree will be fine; focus instead on your law school prestige/grades. If you want to do pros, that's when the physics degree will potentially pose a problem, unless you're careful about what you do with that degree. I know people who have gotten hired with physics degrees, but you have to make sure you do research or work in a field that files patents (i.e., astrophysics isn't going to cut it); but yes, it will be harder to sell a physics degree than an EE one.

I second that it's a bad idea to pick a major you hate to get a job in pros, though; keep in mind that whatever degree you get, you'll probably be dealing with cases in that field day in and day out, for the next X years of your career. Don't set yourself up for misery by forcing yourself into a field you already know you hate.
+1 to all of the above, based on my experience as a SA who would have become a patent litigator if I had stayed at that firm. I actually had an undergrad degree in astrophysics, and patent prosecution was probably not going to happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”