Job Security in Secondary Markets Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
proteinshake

Gold

Job Security in Secondary Markets

Post by proteinshake » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 pm

are jobs in secondary markets less secure than jobs in major markets during an economic downturn (or in general)? should this factor into one's decision on where to practice?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Re: Job Security in Secondary Markets

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Interested in this as well

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:28 pm

plz

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm

There is no answer to this. Recessions hit different markets, firms, and practice groups differently. I imagine there is generally greater variation within markets than between them in how firms fare during downturns, related mainly to internal factors you have very little ability to assess as a law student (or, for that matter, as an associate).

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Jay2716 wrote:There is no answer to this. Recessions hit different markets, firms, and practice groups differently. I imagine there is generally greater variation within markets than between them in how firms fare during downturns, related mainly to internal factors you have very little ability to assess as a law student (or, for that matter, as an associate).
thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:There is no answer to this. Recessions hit different markets, firms, and practice groups differently. I imagine there is generally greater variation within markets than between them in how firms fare during downturns, related mainly to internal factors you have very little ability to assess as a law student (or, for that matter, as an associate).
thanks!
Yeah, sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. There are just so many variables here it’s probably not worth making it a big part of your decision.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Jay2716 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
thanks!
Yeah, sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. There are just so many variables here it’s probably not worth making it a big part of your decision.
I suppose that's a good thing! though I'll probably end up wanting to go to a bigger city, at least initially anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”