Desktop Computer in Law School? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pricon

Bronze

Desktop Computer in Law School?

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:44 pm

How useful will my desktop be in law school? Am I going to have to sell it and my 12'' laptop to get a bigger laptop, or will I be able to come home and work on my desktop at least 50% of the time?

If I remember from undergrad, I was on campus 30% of the time and at home doing computer work as soon as my classes were over. My desktop sat at home during all my internships, however. IDK how much time law students would actually spend doing computer work vs. just reading. Do you use the shit out of a word processor each night to prepare for class? If so, I would keep my desktop. And by "use the shit out of," I mean like 3 hours each night and more each weekend day.

I know the desktop power won't be needed for class, but I like to use a 27' screen as soon as classes end for the day. I've had 13 and 15" laptops before and would like to avoid both. My 12" is great for an hour here and there, but a full day's work on it can suck for my back and neck.

Person1111

Bronze

Re: Desktop Computer in Law School?

Post by Person1111 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:22 am

There's nothing you will do in law school that will require the processing power of a desktop, but there's no reason not to get an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:51 am

I used an 11 inch laptop throughout law school and used my external monitor at home while writing papers. You're really not going to need your computer for work very often unless you take notes on it while reading or something, but I don't see why that means you should sell your desktop and laptop and get something new. Having a small laptop is really helpful since you're lugging it to and from school every day.

Your setup sounds fine to me (and you can always change it later on if you decide it's not working).
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:There's nothing you will do for law school that will require the processing power of a desktop, but there's no reason not to get an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
FTFY : D JK

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:55 am

blueapple wrote:I used an 11 inch laptop throughout law school and used my external monitor at home while writing papers. You're really not going to need your computer for work very often unless you take notes on it while reading or something, but I don't see why that means you should sell your desktop and laptop and get something new. Having a small laptop is really helpful since you're lugging it to and from school every day.

Your setup sounds fine to me (and you can always change it later on if you decide it's not working).
It sounds like we have a similar setup and you found the monitor still useful. I can't work all day on a 12". I get serious neck and back pain from the posture of looking at a small screen all day.

If I sell my setup I want to do it ASAP to minimize loss. My desktop's value could drop hundreds of dollars by this time next year, with the rate GPUs are improving. I could sell it now and buy a 15'' when school starts next year. Given your experience and my preference, I will probably be keeping my desktop. It's an all-in-one, I don't use external monitors and can't know when any good ones will get manufactured. Right now the top of the line ones still hurt my eyes compared to my all-in-one, despite having the same resolution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:20 pm

pricon wrote:
blueapple wrote:I used an 11 inch laptop throughout law school and used my external monitor at home while writing papers. You're really not going to need your computer for work very often unless you take notes on it while reading or something, but I don't see why that means you should sell your desktop and laptop and get something new. Having a small laptop is really helpful since you're lugging it to and from school every day.

It sounds like we have a similar setup and you found the monitor still useful. I can't work all day on a 12". I get serious neck and back pain from the posture of looking at a small screen all day.

If I sell my setup I want to do it ASAP to minimize loss. My desktop's value could drop hundreds of dollars by this time next year, with the rate GPUs are improving. I could sell it now and buy a 15'' when school starts next year. Given your experience and my preference, I will probably be keeping my desktop. It's an all-in-one, I don't use external monitors and can't know when any good ones will get manufactured. Right now the top of the line ones still hurt my eyes compared to my all-in-one, despite having the same resolution.
Yeah I'd recommend keeping your current setup. It sounds like you know what works best for you so there's no reason to reinvent the wheel here.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:27 pm

i mean... you'll "use the shit out of" your laptop for exams and some of the netbooks have compatibility issues with softest but those are the only real concerns re: your computing situation.

otherwise, you'll be able to tailor your studying to whatever set up you want - there's no magical formula.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Is selling your current setup and buying a laptop and a large external monitor an option? Then you have the laptop for class and can come home, plug in, and effectively have 2 monitors. Could be the best of both worlds if you can swing it financially.

benjaye

New

Post by benjaye » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:36 pm

I have a 13" macbook pro w/ touchbar and a 27" iMac at home. My setup is great because I have my document folder us synchronized with iCloud so anything I do on my laptop will be instantly accessible on my desktop, and vice versa. When I'm at home I'm more likely to be on my desktop, with my laptop stored in my backpack.

If you have the funds I definitely recommend it. Also, I keep my photos and other media files stored solely on the desktop. Its nice having only what you absolutely need on the laptop!

TLDR: If you can have you file synchronized across your computers, a desktop isnt a bad idea.

*Sorry if this sounds like a plug for Apple*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:Is selling your current setup and buying a laptop and a large external monitor an option? Then you have the laptop for class and can come home, plug in, and effectively have 2 monitors. Could be the best of both worlds if you can swing it financially.
I cannot find an external monitor I like. LG UltraFines even seem to make my eyes ache despite the high resolution. Alas, I have to splurge on Retina screens.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 am

benjaye wrote:I have a 13" macbook pro w/ touchbar and a 27" iMac at home. My setup is great because I have my document folder us synchronized with iCloud so anything I do on my laptop will be instantly accessible on my desktop, and vice versa. When I'm at home I'm more likely to be on my desktop, with my laptop stored in my backpack.

If you have the funds I definitely recommend it. Also, I keep my photos and other media files stored solely on the desktop. Its nice having only what you absolutely need on the laptop!

TLDR: If you can have you file synchronized across your computers, a desktop isnt a bad idea.

*Sorry if this sounds like a plug for Apple*
This is pretty similar to my current setup. I am a fan of the 12" though. I am jealous you get to charge your laptop on both sides!

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:26 am

pricon wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:Is selling your current setup and buying a laptop and a large external monitor an option? Then you have the laptop for class and can come home, plug in, and effectively have 2 monitors. Could be the best of both worlds if you can swing it financially.
I cannot find an external monitor I like. LG UltraFines even seem to make my eyes ache despite the high resolution. Alas, I have to splurge on Retina screens.
If your eyes are giving you trouble now from a screen, that will only get worse through law school and your career as an attorney. Look into screen covers that reduce blue light. That will make a big difference for you.

And no, you do not *need* to splurge on a retina screen. You choose to. All you will be doing for law school is using the Internet for legal research and typing on a word processor. You may have other things you use it for, and that’s fine. But unless you’re into gaming or something you do not need a retina screen. Plenty of people get them anyway, but don’t pretend like you need it. You want it.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:34 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
pricon wrote:
If your eyes are giving you trouble now from a screen, that will only get worse through law school and your career as an attorney. Look into screen covers that reduce blue light. That will make a big difference for you.

And no, you do not *need* to splurge on a retina screen. You choose to. All you will be doing for law school is using the Internet for legal research and typing on a word processor. You may have other things you use it for, and that’s fine. But unless you’re into gaming or something you do not need a retina screen. Plenty of people get them anyway, but don’t pretend like you need it. You want it.
Just buy compute glasses or get your next set of prescription glasses fit with blue light blockers. This does wonders.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
pricon wrote:

Just buy compute glasses or get your next set of prescription glasses fit with blue light blockers. This does wonders.
Also a very good option. Probably better actually, thanks for pointing that out.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
pricon wrote:

I'm actually sticking with "need." You do you, though.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
pricon wrote:

Also a very good option. Probably better actually, thanks for pointing that out.
There are also desktop apps that will automatically adjust color temperature according to the time of day. I don't use it by I have a friend who uses this one: https://justgetflux.com/

blueapple

Silver

Post removed...

Post by blueapple » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Post removed...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”