email signature for dual degree Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
alenvers

New

email signature for dual degree

Post by alenvers » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi, I am new here but I wanted to get some input from a larger audience because the few people I have discussed this with have differing opinions. For those of you in a dual degree program, and both degrees are from the same university, but different schools within the university, how do you structure your email signature? Do you use one and list both schools, or have a separate one for each school and use whichever is more relevant to the particular email? I don't want it to be too long or redundant... I've already spent too much time on this lol. E.g.

First Last
Managing Editor | XXXXX University XXXXX Law Journal
J.D. / M.D. Candidate, 2021
XXXXXX University Law School
XXXXXX University School of Medicine
email@XXXXXX.edu | Phone#

tomwatts

Gold

Re: email signature for dual degree

Post by tomwatts » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:25 pm

I never had a signature like that when I was a joint degree student, but if I had, I would've listed both. It adds clarity.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:18 pm

First Last
email@XXXXXX.edu | Phone#
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:10 am

Long emails signatures are terrible. Mine doesn’t even say “attorney.” Name, number, email, firm, all in two lines. Don’t put all that crap in your email as a student.

alenvers

New

Post by alenvers » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:47 pm

thanks for the advice! I shortened it to 3 lines.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 pm

You should shorten it to 0 lines. And even if you do keep it for whatever reason, for the love of humanity don't put your email address in your signature.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 pm

you should consider adding a motivational quote underneath the 5th line

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 pm

"Please consider the environment before printing this email."

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 pm

ClubberLang wrote:And even if you do keep it for whatever reason, for the love of humanity don't put your email address in your signature.
It's pretty common, but I have regularly wondered what on earth the use of an email address in a signature is. It's already in the From: field. Why do you also need it in the sig?

I don't want the answer to be, "Because people are stupid and bad at technology," but that's all I've got at the moment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:11 am

tomwatts wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:And even if you do keep it for whatever reason, for the love of humanity don't put your email address in your signature.
It's pretty common, but I have regularly wondered what on earth the use of an email address in a signature is. It's already in the From: field. Why do you also need it in the sig?

I don't want the answer to be, "Because people are stupid and bad at technology," but that's all I've got at the moment.
Law is a service. You want to make things easy, very easy, for your clients. Some people print e-mails to read things. Many companies use an e-mail software that will only print the name of the sender without the e-mail address. Having the e-mail address in the signature allows the client to send a quick "approved" in his dinky cell phone after reading the printout without having to search his e-mail inbox for your original message. Do I think this is dumb? Yes. Do I do it? Yes. I do plenty of really seemingly dumb things to make life easy for the client.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 am

tomwatts wrote:

Christ, I'm such a hypocrite. Just examined my work signature and realized both email address and fax number are in there. I have never received a fax. Promptly removed email address and fax from sig...feeling good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”