Fragomen Worldwide Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Skadidas

New

Fragomen Worldwide

Post by Skadidas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Hey TLS! First topic here and it's about the firm Fragomen Worldwide.

I am in the running for an assistant paralegal position and believe it would be a great opportunity to experience life at a law firm as well as work experience to be added to my resume. They are asking that I commit to the firm for a minimum of 2 years, however.

Questions:
#1 Is this common for paralegal positions at similar firms?
#2 Would it be advantageous to accept the position and apply to law school after my two years have been fulfilled? As opposed to applying after I receive my December LSAT scores in January for this upcoming fall.

lilboat

New

Re: Fragomen Worldwide

Post by lilboat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:13 am

Two year commitment is pretty typical but not universal. It won't have a detrimental impact on your future prospects if you decide to quit after a year and go to law school.

Skadidas

New

Post by Skadidas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:18 am

Thanks for the reply!

It seems like a great law firm to gain experience and will hopefully offer me an insight of life inside a corporate law firm.

catnamedcat

New

Post by catnamedcat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:25 pm

I worked at Fragomen for 3 years as an AP before going to LS. 2 year commitment was in place when I joined too, but that wasn't a problem for me because I wanted to work for a few years before going to LS. They do take it rather seriously though, so I'd keep that in mind.

Personally, I had a great experience working there and recommend it. I definitely learned a lot, and it was great work experience.

If you have other questions feel free to PM me.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 pm

I also worked there as an AP for 3 years. I think the experience definitely helped prepare me to understand what it's like to work as a lawyer. You also learn a ton about the US immigration system which is pretty fascinating.

A 2 year commitment and working as a paralegal before law school is a pretty standard path.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”