How does admissions timeline work? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dwighthoward786

New

How does admissions timeline work?

Post by dwighthoward786 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Hello all,
If i am in 4th year and finishing my bachelors this year, how will schools make their decision in terms of calculating my GPA? Are the decisions made before i receive my bachelors? Or will they wait in april/may, when i graduate?
Thank you

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Re: How does admissions timeline work?

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:20 am

1. You submit your transcripts to the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC) at the beginning of your senior year
2. They generate what's called a LSDAS GPA from combining all of your transcripts
3. You get 2+ letters of recommendation from professors and send them the LSAC letter of recommendation form
4. Write a personal statement explaining why you're going to law school
5. At this point, you should have already taken the LSAT, so you should have a score for that
6. Now, you apply to law schools, which for the most part started accepting applications Sept. 1
7. Fill out the forms for each school you want to apply to, consider writing a "Why [school]" essay, and hand them your application fee
8. They will get their decisions back to you from Sept - May. Normally those who apply early hear back earlier than those who apply later.

Honestly, if you're asking this question now, you probably should not be applying this admissions cycle.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”