Getting to Maybe and Others Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pricon

Bronze

Getting to Maybe and Others

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Can someone who got like a 3.6+ in LS and read GTM opine on it? Just looking at doing some non-LSAT reading in between LSAT PTs and some friend dumped this on my desk. Wondering if I should even bother?

Interested in any top-notch (not page-turner) pre-L reading. Have Academic Legal Writing, but dunno if I should crack that open until 1L Christmas break. Could it help with 1L grades?

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Getting to Maybe and Others

Post by Nebby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:38 pm

pricon wrote:Can someone who got like a 3.6+ in LS and read GTM opine on it?
Lol

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:40 pm

Nebby wrote:
Lol
LOL well IDK I kind of worry that if someone read it and didn't excel they might be bad luck LOL that does sound superstitious though. Honestly it does help to ask if something is helpful for LS grades only from people who did pretty well. Or is 3.6 like a common median, and the joke is on me?

On another note, in case people don't know, nebs is awesome.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:44 pm

pricon wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Lol
LOL well IDK I kind of worry that if someone read it and didn't excel they might be bad luck LOL that does sound superstitious though. Honestly it does help to ask if something is helpful for LS grades only from people who did pretty well. Or is 3.6 like a common median, and the joke is on me?
You're better off without the grade cut off. What if someone got a 3.2 and found it unhelpful? That'd likely be a useful data point just as much as someone who got a 3.6 and found it unhelpful.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 pm

IDK. I can't really trust someone's help one way or the other. It's not like people who get bad grades all knew how to get good grades and just chose not to put in the work. This could be used against me, of course: not all who get good grades knew what they did to get them. Anyway, I think I will err on the side of those who got good grades.

In light of this, I think the best case scenario would be someone who started out with bad grades and then started getting great ones, regardless of their overall GPA. Asking for both that and having read GTM might be kind of a stretch though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Whether the book helped someone improve depends entirely on where they started, and not some arbitrary cut-off of where they ended up.

And if you're studying for the LSAT don't read GTM now. It's decently helpful, but it makes much more sense once you've started classes and have more of a legal vocabulary to draw on.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:53 pm

I agree with you.

Okay, thanks. My friend also gave me 1L of a Ride. They both seemed a little sham-like, like self-help books, so I was just wondering.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:33 am

pricon wrote:I agree with you.

Okay, thanks. My friend also gave me 1L of a Ride. They both seemed a little sham-like, like self-help books, so I was just wondering.
GTM is a good read for before you start school. Some people seem to think they couldn't glean any lessons from it without having taken doctrinal classes in advance, but I don't see how I would have had time to really read and process it during the buildup to finals.

1L of a Ride is mainly useful as a primer for the structure of law school. Again, totally useless until you're about to be going to school.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:54 am

Yeah, to be fair, I probably left out a step: 1) don't read GTM while you're studying for the LSAT, there's no reason. 2) feel free to read it the summer before you start, but 3) you may find it makes much more sense once you've taken some classes (I did) - not that you have to have finished classes or anything, but I had no prior experience with legal concepts and it does use legal content in the examples (it can be helpful to go back to it partway through the semester; it doesn't take THAT long to read/absorb).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lebongenre

Bronze

Post by lebongenre » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:14 am

The Legal Analyst is great and much less self-help-like. More appropriate choice for an LSAT break, imo.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:55 am

Sweet, y'all. I appreciate it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”