Criminal Background for AUSA position Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lawyeresque

New

Criminal Background for AUSA position

Post by Lawyeresque » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:35 pm

7 years ago I was stupid with my decision making and got arrested. I've had the two charges sealed since my adjudication was withheld. Fast forward to the present, I just passed the bar in my state and was wondering what're my chances of getting the job post clerkship.

Thank you

cavalier1138

Re: Criminal Background for AUSA position

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:31 pm

It really depends on what the conviction was for. But most (all, as far as I know) AUSA offices will not hire you if you only have a clerkship under your belt.

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:It really depends on what the conviction was for. But most (all, as far as I know) AUSA offices will not hire you if you only have a clerkship under your belt.
This is just not true. Sdny routinely hires out of clerkships.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:It really depends on what the conviction was for. But most (all, as far as I know) AUSA offices will not hire you if you only have a clerkship under your belt.
Maybe people who had some practice experience before clerking. It's extremely uncommon for SDNY to hire someone straight from law school/clerkship.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 am

jrf12886 wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:
Maybe people who had some practice experience before clerking. It's extremely uncommon for SDNY to hire someone straight from law school/clerkship.
Yeah, I've never heard of them hiring someone in that office without at least a couple of years actually practicing before clerking. These places technically have honors programs, but they literally take one person in to the office that way, if they do it at all. And I have not heard good things about going that route for an AUSA spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:38 am

Leave it to TLS to turn someone's basic question about background checks into an argument over post clerkship hiring in the Southern District.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 am

HenryHankPalmer wrote:Leave it to TLS to turn someone's basic question about background checks into an argument over post clerkship hiring in the Southern District.
Well, since the OP didn't provide anything resembling relevant information, this is much more fun.

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:
Yeah, I've never heard of them hiring someone in that office without at least a couple of years actually practicing before clerking. These places technically have honors programs, but they literally take one person in to the office that way, if they do it at all. And I have not heard good things about going that route for an AUSA spot.
A search on linkedin shows several recent hires with only clerkship experience. And one of my co-clerks was hired by SDNY with no other experience, although they made him/her start in white plains.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:47 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:A search on linkedin shows several recent hires with only clerkship experience. And one of my co-clerks was hired by SDNY with no other experience, although they made him/her start in white plains.
I mean, that's essentially like making them join the Night's Watch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TheProsecutor wrote:A search on linkedin shows several recent hires with only clerkship experience. And one of my co-clerks was hired by SDNY with no other experience, although they made him/her start in white plains.
I mean, that's essentially like making them join the Night's Watch.
Hahah I actually really laughed out loud reading this.

akane89

New

Post by akane89 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Nothing is really sealed since the patriot act; go be a realtor convict lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”