First Year Salary Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
blinkmtt3

New

First Year Salary

Post by blinkmtt3 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:48 pm

I am really curious what people are actually making right out of law school. For instance, I am at a mid to large business litigation firm in St. Petersburg, FL as a law clerk. I am hoping to continue working here upon graduation and passage of the bar. I really want to know what the starting salary for first year associates is though, and I have no idea how to go about finding out this information, especially when I just started here and will not be considered for a position until closer to the end of the year. I have searched in google for my particular firm as well as averages, but I have found nothing on my firm and the averages just don't seem realistic. Anyone want to give their two cents?

sublime

Diamond

Re: First Year Salary

Post by sublime » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:59 pm

If it's a big firm on nalp, it will probably be on their website. If it is a smaller firm in a smaller market there really isn't any way to find out, as far as I know.

blinkmtt3

New

Post by blinkmtt3 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:41 pm

sublime wrote:If it's a big firm on nalp, it will probably be on their website. If it is a smaller firm in a smaller market there really isn't any way to find out, as far as I know.
Thanks. I haven't ever even heard of that website, but I just searched for my firm and didn't find it. I appreciate the advice though!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 pm

try glassdoor.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:51 pm

How big is "mid to large"? The fact that your firm is in St. Petersburg makes me think that it's probably what most people would call a small firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 pm

If it's not on the Internet, you might have to literally ask someone who works there. There are more and less delicate ways of doing about this; I would suggest using one of the more delicate ways.

Be aware that it may not be completely standardized (i.e., some people might come in making a little more and some people might come in making a little less).

blinkmtt3

New

Post by blinkmtt3 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 am

cavalier1138 wrote:How big is "mid to large"? The fact that your firm is in St. Petersburg makes me think that it's probably what most people would call a small firm.
I don't think they are considered a "small firm." It is certainly not a Big Law firm, like the usuals in Tampa, but they are not a boutique firm either.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:55 am

blinkmtt3 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:How big is "mid to large"? The fact that your firm is in St. Petersburg makes me think that it's probably what most people would call a small firm.
I don't think they are considered a "small firm." It is certainly not a Big Law firm, like the usuals in Tampa, but they are not a boutique firm either.
But how many attorneys are we talking about? Larger firms tend to have more standardized pay rules, while smaller firms can be all over the place.

blinkmtt3

New

Post by blinkmtt3 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
blinkmtt3 wrote:
But how many attorneys are we talking about? Larger firms tend to have more standardized pay rules, while smaller firms can be all over the place.
15 attorneys currently. I guess I don't even know what is considered a "large" or "small" firm.

blinkmtt3

New

Post by blinkmtt3 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:35 pm

blinkmtt3 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
blinkmtt3 wrote:
15 attorneys currently. I guess I don't even know what is considered a "large" or "small" firm.
Nevermind... just looked up the amount of attorneys at one of the big places in Tampa... yeah, like 260. I guess I work at a small firm. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”