What Should I Do With a Year Off Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

What do I do?

Try and work in a support role with a firm to learn about trial work (+money -choices)
38%
Attempt to volunteer with a legal organization (+opportunity/likelihood -money)
15%
Volunteer outside of the legal field and read prep books (++opportunity -money -preparation)
No votes
Work outside the legal field, volunteer part time, read some prep books (+opportunity +money -preparation)
46%

Total votes: 13

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

What Should I Do With a Year Off

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:10 pm

After quitting my job and moving states, I had to take a medical deferral for this year. I obviously will have to get treatments to get better, but the medical system has some slow wheels and apart from a surgery a two weeks of 5 hr/day treatments, I will have almost a year off in a new city. It's really cheap here and my parents are helping me out so a job (especially not a job with the salary and requirements I previously had) is not a priority. I want to maximize my down time to best prepare for law school/legal career and so I'm trying to determine the best way to spend my time.

I didn't spend a ton of time the last two years getting to know what the day to day of different types of attorneys work. I've seen a bit of transnational deal making work, but would like to see more of the litigation side (both trial and appellate). I also think I could probably do something to continue preparing for Law School. Finally I want to spend some amount of time giving back to the community.

All that said, I'll probably do a little of everything but need to find something I should probably focus on and want current students/lawyers' opinion on what would be most beneficial.

I could:

A) Try and work in a support role with a firm to learn about trial work (+money -choices)
B) Attempt to volunteer with a legal organization (+opportunity/likelihood -money)
C) Volunteer outside of the legal field and read prep books (++opportunity -money -preparation)
D) Work outside the legal field, volunteer part time, read some prep books (+opportunity +money -preparation)

If you were in my shoes what would you do?

emkay625

Gold

Re: What Should I Do With a Year Off

Post by emkay625 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:18 pm

You should do something you really want to do. Don't worry about it being law related, unless that's the only think you think you'd enjoy doing. Spend the year having fun.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:07 am

Whatever you want.

AllenMoffitt

New

Post by AllenMoffitt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:10 am

Do something that makes you happy.

Facelessgod

New

Post by Facelessgod » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Another option is working at your local district court as a court clerk. I've been doing that for my gap year and enjoy it. I took a pay cut compared to offers I had to work as a legal assistant at a firm but I get to be in court every day, morning and afternoon, which is ultimately why I accepted this job. I'm constantly interacting with attorneys and different judges which is nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:39 pm

I wouldn't put too much value on reading prep books

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 am

Travel.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Travel.
This. unless medical issues prevent you from doing this. If that's the case, then learn how to sew (or something else useful).

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:I wouldn't put too much value on reading prep books
agree

akane89

New

Post by akane89 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:53 pm

Write in: prep to be a teacher or realtor

Want to continue reading?